5 Written Questions
5 Matching Questions
- The Roman Senate c. 6th/5th century BC
- Paterfamilias 2nd Century ad
- The Four Gospels 1st century
- Feudalism 9th-13th century
- The Punic Wars 3rd century bc
- a "Father of the family". This person had absolute power over his family, which extended to life and death. hey are the central part of Roman culture and society.
- b The Roman Senate began as a kings council. It was a very important body of non-elected, upper class people who inherit the position hereditarily. They do not make law, however, the senates vote has a impact on the law. The Senate was composed of 300 people. It was a stable part of Roman Government
- c "To hold the land" Came from the Viking Invasions, it was a way to organize the military. It helped the king defend his territory. King gives out parcels of land to his greatnobles, in exchange for there loyalty. Each noble would also have to bring 100 soldiers with him. In reality, the King owned all the land.
- d Writings of the followers of Jesus, Mark John, Luke, and Matthew. These describe the life and ministry of Jesus Christ. They were written later than the other books. Only historical source for the life of Jesus
- e Three part war between Carthage and Rome. Rome destroyed Carthage and established them selves as the sole power in the Mediterranean. In the 1st punic war: cartahgians against rome, rome wins. 2nd punic war: hannibal leads men into italy through the alps against rome, Battle of Cannae: rome loses, hannible wins, P. cornelius scipoio defeats hannibal and rome wins.
5 Multiple Choice Questions
- Christianity started with Paul, who created Christianity separately from Judaism. "You don't have to be a jew to be christian." Christianity is more than just a jewish sect. Based on the teachings of Jesus
- He was the King of the Franks. Conquered Western Europe, except for Britain and Spain. He was the leader of the Cardingian Empire. He was the first holy roman Emperor.
- The belief from Arius of Alexandria, that Jesus is part man and part god, and that we should strive to be like him. Concerned with the relationship between the entities of Trinity (not in the bible); God and the Son, God and the father, and God and the holy spirit.
- The etruscans( Tusci) were the culturally dominant group in the Italian Peninsula. They may have migrated to Italy from Asia Minor, or may have been an indigenous population. THey brought civilizations to Italy and built city states that were politically independent but in contact with other etruscan cities.
- He was the father of Monasticism. He made the Benedictine order, which established the fundamental form of monastic life in western christian church; Every community needs a monk(abott.)
5 True/False Questions
the Franks 3rd Century AD → Initially a barbarian tribe, the Frank Germanic tribes. They became allies of the Romans and became Christian. In the 8th century they established the Carolingian rule. They were best organized under Charlemagne.
Augustus Early 1st Century ad → Augustus (octavion) was the adopted Son of Caesar. He was the first Roman Emperor. He declared a restoration of the republic, but created a constitutional monarchy. His reign marked the start of the Pax Romana. Added 40 new colonies. Built temples dedicated to Roma Et Augustus.
Pax Romana c.1st century ad → A period of peace and prosperity throughout the Roman Empire. "Roman Peace"; because of Rome, there was peace and prosperity throughout the empire. It was described for being the first time ever that there was a united land, with relative peace and stability.
Hannibal 3rd Century → The belief from Arius of Alexandria, that Jesus is part man and part god, and that we should strive to be like him. Concerned with the relationship between the entities of Trinity (not in the bible); God and the Son, God and the father, and God and the holy spirit.
Byzantine Empire → Tells the story of the foundation of Rome. Two twin boys are abandoned in a basket down river and they washed onto shore. Babies were taken in by mother wolf and raised. Decided to build rome on hills. Romulus kills remus for crossing into his land. Symbol of the city of rome.