5 Written Questions
5 Matching Questions
- Francisco de Coronado
- joint stock company
- Why did Cortes go to Mexico
- Bartolome de Las Casas
- a Spanish missionary (priest) who was an "upstander" for the Tainos. Published several books on the mistreatment of the Indians. wanted to end encomienda - suggested
Africans for slaves instead of Indians
- b A company made up of a group of shareholders. Each shareholder contributes some money to the company and receives some share of the company's profits and debts.
- c a seat of government, money for investment
- d Led an expedition to the American Southwest to search for the seven cities of Cibola - a fable about a city of gold
- e looking for gold and silver.
5 Multiple Choice Questions
- Right the Spanish government granted to its american colonists to demand labor or tribute from Native Americans
- Last ruling Inca emperor of Peru. He was executed by the Spanish. (p. 438)
- Italian explorer who sailed to the Caribbean trying to find a western route to Asia
- Portuguese nabigator who landed on the coast of Brazil in 1500 and claimed it for Portugal.
- they rebelled against the Spanish for prohibiting them to practice their religion - drove them out for 12 years
5 True/False Questions
Columbian exchange → Female Indian slave who served as interpreter for Cortes
Amerigo Vespucci → The italian sailor who corrected Columbus's mistake, acknowledging the coasts of america as a new world. America is named after him
Malinche → Female Indian slave who served as interpreter for Cortes
Ferdinand Magellan → Portuguese explorer who reached the Philippines and circumnavigated the world
Montezuma II → the last Aztec emperor in Mexico who was overthrown and killed by Hernando Cortes (1466-1520)