5 Written Questions
5 Matching Questions
- Free/Paraphrase Translation
- Holtzmann Hypothesis
- Summary of Translation
- Three Themes of Luke
- a 1863
- b -somethings just need teaching (OT sacrificial system)
-having one good translation of each approach is the way to go
- c 1) The role of the Holy Spirit in Luke/Acts - fits Lk's goal to demonstrate gentile acceptance. Sets this up throughout Gospel
2) Jesus as the Son of God - birth announcement (to Mary), spiritual conception, the Baptism, see also Jesus - Adam Typology
3) The Jubilee Connection - a year of Jubilee close to the beginning of Jesus' ministry. The claim of fulfilling Isaiah 61
- d a section of text that holds together
often related to genre
- e "meaning"
-if scripture was written in "street Greek" shouldn't we translate it into "street English?"
-often group focused (e.g. Cotton Patch Gospel)
-becomes very dated very fast
-not developed by a committee, often just one person
-ex: The Message
-danger: Translator's agenda; can add, leave out or distort
5 Multiple Choice Questions
- 1) vs 8 is simply the end
2) the book was never finished, something happened to prevent the ending from being written
3) the Resurrection account was planned for a second volume following Luke-Acts pattern (little evidence for this)
4) the ending was lost
5) the resurrection account was already widely known and circulated (the weakest argument)
- collapse of the Kingdom
-combined Gospels into one, called a harmony
-examples: Tatian's Diatessaron (c. 150), Augustine (400)
-maintained Matthew came first, written in Hebrew
-Mark is a Greek recension (reader's digest version)
- 1 c. document for sure.
Question: before or after 70 (temple destruction)?
Liberal need the date to fall after 70 AD so Matt. put Jesus' temple prediction in his mouth
Conservatives don't care
- promised descendants
will be a blessing to the nations
5 True/False Questions
πνεγματικα → spiritual
Clement's comment on John
Why do we have new translations? → 1. Our ability to understand the meaning of ancient languages
2. The way we use our own language
3. NOT because the original meaning has changed!
Streeter's Hypothesis → 1863
Kingly Tradition Paradigm → David, 'nuf said
John's Relation to the Synoptic Gospels
(three theories) → ...