6 Written questions
6 Multiple choice questions
- a boat propelled by a steam engine
- Children were viewed as laborers throughout the 19th century. Many children worked on farms, small businesses, mills and factories.
- a machine created in 1764 by James Hargreaves that was a multi-spool spinning wheel that increase efficiency because it had up to 8 or 9 spools allowing more threads and colors and increases productivity for the cottage system
- the social process whereby cities grow and societies become more urban
- He memorized the way that the British made machines and he brought the idea to America. He made our first cotton spinning machine.
- Places that brought together workers and machines to produce large quantities of goods
5 True/False questions
Railroad → line that is the commercial organization responsible for operating a railway system
Cotton Gin → a machine that separates the seeds from raw cotton fibers
Tenements → Urban apartment buildings that served as housing for poor factory workers. Often poorly constructed and overcrowded.
Industrialization → the social process whereby cities grow and societies become more urban
Enclosures → one of the fenced-in or hedged-in fields created by wealthy British landowners on land that was formerly worked by village farmers