6 Written Questions
6 Multiple Choice Questions
- line that is the commercial organization responsible for operating a railway system
- Visited England and returned to the US to open a mill in Mass. that brought spining and weaving in one building in a town named after him
- new invention for weaving-enabled the weaver to throw the shuttle back and forth between the threads with one hand (replaced the loom)
- Children were viewed as laborers throughout the 19th century. Many children worked on farms, small businesses, mills and factories.
- a loom operated mechanically, run by water putting the loom side by side wit hthe spinning machines in factories, changed workers job from running it to watching it, Invented in 1787, invented by Edward Cartwright , it speeded up the production of textiles
- Places that brought together workers and machines to produce large quantities of goods
5 True/False Questions
Urbanization → The practice of rotating use of different fields from crop to crop each year, to avoid exhausting the soil.
Crop Rotation → the social process whereby cities grow and societies become more urban
Spinning Jenny → a machine created in 1764 by James Hargreaves that was a multi-spool spinning wheel that increase efficiency because it had up to 8 or 9 spools allowing more threads and colors and increases productivity for the cottage system
Cotton Gin → The practice of rotating use of different fields from crop to crop each year, to avoid exhausting the soil.
Steamboat → Urban apartment buildings that served as housing for poor factory workers. Often poorly constructed and overcrowded.