6 Written questions
6 Multiple choice questions
- Visited England and returned to the US to open a mill in Mass. that brought spining and weaving in one building in a town named after him
- external-combustion engine in which heat is used to raise steam which either turns a turbine or forces a piston to move up and down in a cylinder
- a machine created in 1764 by James Hargreaves that was a multi-spool spinning wheel that increase efficiency because it had up to 8 or 9 spools allowing more threads and colors and increases productivity for the cottage system
- Places that brought together workers and machines to produce large quantities of goods
- line that is the commercial organization responsible for operating a railway system
- Urban apartment buildings that served as housing for poor factory workers. Often poorly constructed and overcrowded.
5 True/False questions
Crop Rotation → The practice of rotating use of different fields from crop to crop each year, to avoid exhausting the soil.
Enclosures → one of the fenced-in or hedged-in fields created by wealthy British landowners on land that was formerly worked by village farmers
Cottage industry → small-scale industry that can be carried on at home by family members using their own equipment
Steamboat → a boat propelled by a steam engine
Flying Shuttle → new invention for weaving-enabled the weaver to throw the shuttle back and forth between the threads with one hand (replaced the loom)