7 Written Questions
6 Multiple Choice Questions
- abstract, supernatural, going beyond common thought or ideas; impossible to understand by practical experiences or practices; known only by studying thoughts or intuition; OP. empirical; CF. transcendentalism, being beyond ordinary or common experience, thought, or belief; supernatural, Term which refers to knowledge not known through the five senses, (noun) of or relating to the spiritual realm
- chatter, talk meaninglessly, V. /空谈/speak foolishly; boast idly. Let us not **** about our good qualities; rather, let our virtues speak for them¬selves.
- having a pleasant sound. , (of speech or dialect) pleasing in sound
- not questionable, not doubtable, ADJ. /攻不破的/not subject to question; not open to attack. Penelope's virtue was ***; while she waited for her husband to come back from the war, no other man had a chance.
without flaws or loopholes ADJECTIVE
EX. "an ironclad contract"; "a watertight alibi"; "a bulletproof argument"
able to withstand attack ADJECTIVE
EX. "an impregnable fortress"; "fortifications that made the frontier inviolable"
- model, theoretical framework, the generally accepted perspective of a particular discipline at a given time. "he framed the problem within the psychoanalytic ****"
, (n.) an example that is a perfect pattern or model (Because the new SUV was so popular, it became the *** upon which all others were modeled.)
- difference, disagreement, an activity that varies from a norm or standardany variation in his routine was immediately reported"
6 True/False Questions
reprobate → depraved, condemned, N. /有重罪的人；道德败坏的人，无耻的人/person hardened in sin, devoid of a sense of decency. I cannot understand why he has so many admir¬ers if he is the *** you say he is., As as adjective marked by immorality "the *** conduct of a gambling aristocrat"
turbid → muddy, obscurd, (of especially liquids) clouded as with "a cloudy liquid"; "muddy coffee"; "murky waters", ADJ. having the sediment disturbed. The water was **** after the children had waded through it.
halcyon → happy, prosperous, "a golden era"; "the **** days of the clipper trade", idyllically calm and peaceful
anomalous → irregular, unusual, deviating from the general or common order or advanced forms of life may be ** in the universe", ADJ. /不正常的，变态的/abnormal; irregular. He was placed in the *** position of seeming to approve procedures which he despised.
impalpable → not physical, not able to be touched, incapable of being perceived by the senses especially the sense of touch, imperceptible to the senses or the "an **** pulse"
incapable of being perceived by the senses especially the sense of touch ADJECTIVE
EX. "the intangible constituent of energy"- James Jeans
imperceptible to the senses or the mind ADJECTIVE
EX. "an *** cloud"; "** shadows"; "* distinctions"; "as *** as a dream"
disingenuous → seemingly honest while not being so, ADJ. /不诚恳的/lacking genuine candor; insincere. Now that we know the mayor and his wife are engaged in a bitter divorce fight, we find their earlier remarks regretting their lack of time together remarkably *****.