5 Written questions
5 Matching questions
- It is always painful to part from people whom one has known for a very brief space of time. The absence of old friends one can endure with ___________ .
- faux pas
- a a socially awkward or tactless act
- b The condo was the ________________ of wealth with the outstanding views and services provided by the concierge.
- c art characterized by sentimental, often pretentious bad taste
- d to speak or act in a way that allows for more than one interpretation; to be deliberately vague or ambiguous
- e equanimity
5 Multiple choice questions
- a mild, indirect, or vague word used instead of one considered harsh, blunt, or offensive
- achieve something by means of trickery or devious methods
- preformed with a natural, offhand ease; marked by ease and fluency of speech or writing that suggests or stems from insincerity, superficiality, or deceitfulness
5 True/False questions
idyllic → The pond was an _______________ place to fish because it was recently stocked with trout and other fish.
fastidious → doing harm in a subtle manner
fait accompli → an accomplished and presumably irreversible deed, fact, or action
She began reminiscing about the way she ___________ to get meat during the war by finding a vegetarian family in the neighborhood and trading her vegetable ration card for their meat card. → faux pas
"Personal staff time" was a phrase that on the 1980 campaign plane had been considered a ___________ for "nap time." → equanimity