← Comm 330 Exam 2 Test
5 Written Questions
5 Matching Questions
- Role Sets
- Role Distance
- Social Learning Theory
- a A theory that explains how children learn to mimic behaviors and roles by observing other people.
- b Using jokes to alleviate face loss.
- c Letting others know that the roles we are playing do not completely define us.
- d A state of reduced attention. The individual is trapped in categories devised in the past.
- e Others who help put on a given performance.
5 Multiple Choice Questions
- The mean parent who punishes and humiliates the child for having negative emotions.
- When other people support our role performances, they become more salient.
- Trying to correct face loss after it has happened.
- The adult who wants intimacy but is afraid of it - they pursue it and run away.
- When the actions of each party intensify the actions of the other.
5 True/False Questions
Face Threatening Acts → Behaviors that threaten the loss of face
Acquiescent responses → Focus on confronting one's partner about hurtful remarks.
Negative Face → Being liked and admired.
Credentialing → A type of disclaimer from a person with credentials because they are trying to help you.
Ex: I'm a doctor, so...
Hedging → Beating around the bush to avoid face loss