5 Written Questions
5 Multiple Choice Questions
- Nathan Hale was captured (turned in by his own cousin) and gave his famous last words: "I only regret that I have but one life to lose for my country."
- <Long, hard winter for Washington here 20 miles south of Philadelphia
<Lacked blankets, coats, shoes, warm tents, $$$-had to depend on local farmers' generosity
<"Winter of Red Snow"
<2,500 soldiers died in 6 months
- Burgoyne was defeated! This convinced European leaders we could win the war.
- <Burgoyne left Canada, planning to meet Howe in Hudson River Valley to cut New England off from other colonies
<Howe went south to attack Philadelphia-never informed Burgoyne
<General Barry St. Leger never made it as well-cut off by General Benedict Arnold
<Weakened Burgoyne forced to fight alone
<Gen. Howe took Philadelphia, settled there for the winter-comfy and happy there, partying Benedict Arnold's wife spent time at those parties
- France signed this to say they'd be allies with the Americans and aid them with money and troops.
4 True/False Questions
Fighting breaks out on Bunker Hill → Breed's Hill-Dorchester Heights near Boston
General Gage attacked, but Patriots were prepared. Over 1,000 British lost their lives and 400 Patriots.
Help from Europe → <General von Steuben-military expert, trained troops
<Marquis de Lafayette-19 year old French soldier, fought with Washington
Battle of Long Island → General Howe sailed to New York City. Washington rushed from Boston to defend New York, but had no Navy to defend the city. He was outnumbered 5,000 to 25,000 troops.
Victories at Trenton and Princeton → Washington defeats the British at Trenton, NJ on Dec. 26, 1776 in a surprise attack.