5 Written Questions
5 Multiple Choice Questions
- Washington defeats the British at Trenton, NJ on Dec. 26, 1776 in a surprise attack.
- General Howe sailed to New York City. Washington rushed from Boston to defend New York, but had no Navy to defend the city. He was outnumbered 5,000 to 25,000 troops.
- Quote: "These are the times that try men's souls. The summer soldier and the sunshine patriot will, in this crisis, shrink from the service of their country..."
- <Commanded the Bonhomme Richard
<Won many Naval battles
<Quote: "I have not yey begun to fight!"
- Nathan Hale was captured (turned in by his own cousin) and gave his famous last words: "I only regret that I have but one life to lose for my country."
4 True/False Questions
Washington take control → British wait in Boston for more troops and supplies. General Washington arrives in Boston to take over the command of Patriot troops. Benedict Arnold and Ethan Allen (Green Mountain Boys) had taken Vermont and Fort Ticonderoga in New York. Now they returned with cannons all aimed at Boston. The Loyalists and British sailed from Boston without confrontation.
Battle of Saratoga → Burgoyne was defeated! This convinced European leaders we could win the war.
Valley Forge → <Long, hard winter for Washington here 20 miles south of Philadelphia
<Lacked blankets, coats, shoes, warm tents, $$$-had to depend on local farmers' generosity
<"Winter of Red Snow"
<2,500 soldiers died in 6 months
Treaty of Alliance → Burgoyne was defeated! This convinced European leaders we could win the war.