5 Written Questions
5 Multiple Choice Questions
- Burgoyne was defeated! This convinced European leaders we could win the war.
- privately owned ships that had permission to sail through blockade and attack British
Americans had less than 50 of these currently
- Washington defeats the British at Trenton, NJ on Dec. 26, 1776 in a surprise attack.
- <Commanded the Bonhomme Richard
<Won many Naval battles
<Quote: "I have not yey begun to fight!"
- <General von Steuben-military expert, trained troops
<Marquis de Lafayette-19 year old French soldier, fought with Washington
4 True/False Questions
New York Campaign → General Clinton sailed south to the Carolinas, but his attacks were not yet sucessful. General Burgoyne fled to Canada, to return later with fresh troops/forces.
Valley Forge → Quote: "These are the times that try men's souls. The summer soldier and the sunshine patriot will, in this crisis, shrink from the service of their country..."
Washington take control → British wait in Boston for more troops and supplies. General Washington arrives in Boston to take over the command of Patriot troops. Benedict Arnold and Ethan Allen (Green Mountain Boys) had taken Vermont and Fort Ticonderoga in New York. Now they returned with cannons all aimed at Boston. The Loyalists and British sailed from Boston without confrontation.
Battle of Long Island → General Howe sailed to New York City. Washington rushed from Boston to defend New York, but had no Navy to defend the city. He was outnumbered 5,000 to 25,000 troops.