Identify all the categories of the Neuromuscular Exam
1. Observation/ Gait
*lateral gravitational line
3. Active range of motion
*Upper extremities: ask PT to perform tasks
*Lower extremities: ask PT to perform tasks
4. Strength testing
6. Deep tendon reflexes
What does the Observation/gait portion entail?
Observe the PT walking away from you & back
What does the Lateral gravitation line exam consist of?
1. Place PT in a uniform base
2. Compare lateral malleolus, greater trochanter, AC joint & external auditory meatus
What 5 things need to be tested during the active ROM upper extremity exam?
1. Abduct arms to 90 palms up
2. Bring palms together overhead w/ arms straight
3. Bring hands behind neck, palms touching back
4. Place arms at 90 palms down
5. Bring hands together behind back dorsal surface anterior
What 1 test needs to be done for the lower extremity ROM portion?
1. Deep knee bend or full squat as comfortable
What 5 aspects entail the Strength testing of the upper extremities?
1. Have the PT place arms @ side & then bend arms to 130
2. Hold arms @ wrist & resist motion to asses symmetry & quantify strength
3. Ask PT to pull in while you resist
4. Ask PT to push out while you resist
5. Ask PT to squeeze your 1st 2 fingers of each hand
What 2 tests need to be done for the Lower extremity strength testing?
(Have PT sit on table)
1. Unilaterally, place hand on knee and have them push up against resistance
2. Unilaterally, place hand under each knee and have them push down against resistance
Identify the 3 tests of the Sensation portion of the exam
1. Assess sensation of paired dermatomes of upper extremities
2. Assess sensation of paired dermatomes of lower extremities
3. To assess proprioception, have PT correctly assess position of great toes
What 5 tests need to be done during the Deep Tendon reflex section?
1. Test biceps tendon reflexes bilaterally
2. Test triceps tendon reflexes bilaterally
3. Test brachioradialis reflexes bilaterally
4. Test patellar reflex tendon reflexes bilaterally
5. Test achilles tendon reflexes bilaterally
What should be reported after the Observation/gait portion?
The PT demonstrates a symmetrical gait
What should be reported after the lateral gravitational line is observed in the PT
The lateral malleolus is in line w/ the greater trochanter, the AC joint & the external auditory meatus
After testing for the ROM in the upper extremities, what should be reported?
The PT demonstrates full active range of motion of upper extremities
After testing for the ROM in the lower extremities, what should be reported?
The PT demonstrates full active range of motion of lower extremities
After the Upper extremity strength testing, what should be reported and what scale is used if normal?
The strength of the upper extremities is 5/5 & symmetrical
After the lower extremity strenght testing, what should be reported and what scale indicates normal strength?
The strength of the lower extremities is 5/5 & symmetrical
After assessing sensation in the PT, what is the report?
Senstation is intact & symmetrical in both upper & lower extremities
What is the report if the tendon reflexes are normal?
Deep tendon reflexes are +2/4 bilaterally