5 Written Questions
5 Matching Questions
- It is secreted by the renal tubules
- Skeletal muscle
- Diabetes mellitus
- a Prior to chemical tests for glycosuria, clinicians checked for sweetness of the urine as a sign of:
a. Diabetes insipidus
b. Acute glomerulonephritis
c. Diabetes mellitus
d. Renal calculus
- b Which of these form the inner layer of the glomerular capsule and wrap around the capillaries of the glomerulus?
a. Macula densa cells
b. Mesangial cells
- c Creatinine has a renal clearance of 140 mL/min due to the fact that:
a. it is absorbed by the loop of Henle.
b. it is secreted by the glomerulus.
c. it is absorbed by the renal tubules.
d. it is secreted by the renal tubules.
e. it is produced in the pulmonary tissue.
- d Which of the following is not found in the ureter?
b. Two layers of smooth muscle
c. Three layers of smoother muscle
d. Transitional epithelium
e. Skeletal muscle
- e What is the term for the pigment responsible for the color of urine?
5 Multiple Choice Questions
- In life-threatening starvation, the kidneys synthesize glucose by
a. Secreting erythropoietin
b. Secreting rennin
c. Deaminating amino acids
d. Contributing to calcium homeostasis
e. Producing uric acid
- In the nephron, the fluid that immediately precedes urine is known as
b. Glomerular filtrate
c. Tubular fluid
d. Renal filtrate
e. Medullary filtrate
- Lithotripsy is a medical procedure used to treat
a. acute glomerulonephritis.
b. nephrotic syndrome.
c. renal calculi.
e. prostatic hypertrophy.
- All of the following are composed of cuboidal epithelium with the exception of
a. The thin segment of the nephron loop
b. The thick segment of the nephron loop
c. The collecting duct
d. The proximal convoluted tubule
e. The distal convoluted tubule
- The ureters pass anterior to the bladder and enter it from below
5 True/False Questions
Angiotensin II → In response to a drop in overall blood pressure, _________ stimulates constriction of the glomerular inlet and even greater constriction of the outlet.
b. Sodium chloride
c. Parathyroid hormone
e. Angiotensin II
False → Glomerular filtration occurs because glomerular oncotic pressure overrides glomerular blood pressure
internal urethral sphincter → A renal calculus can be up to 2 cm wide, but even then, it would not obstruct:
a. the major calyx
b. the ureter
c. the urethra
d. the urinary bladder
e. the renal pelvis
One pyramid and the overlying cortex → A single lobe of a kidney is comprised of
a. Two calyces and a renal pelvis
b. One pyramid and the overlying cortex
c. One major calyx and all of its minor calyces
d. A renal medulla and two renal columns
e. One collecting duct and all nephrons that drain into it
False → Diabetes is any metabolic disorder resulting in chronic polyuria