5 Written Questions
5 Matching Questions
- Why did they consider themselves heirs to the Romans?
- Who was Alexander Nevsky?
- Who were the Umayyad?
- What is a bazaar?
- What was the Hegira?
- a covered market place, could buy anything you needed there
- b powerful family in Mecca that were enemies of Muhammad and supportted the 3rd caliph
- c because the Romans were so great (Julius Caesar)
- d The journey that Muhammad and his followers make from Mecca to Medina is called Hegira, marks the beginning of the Islamic calendar
- e Russian hero, Orrhtodox saint, defeated Swedes and Germans
5 Multiple Choice Questions
- people who gave money to foster astronomy and translating of Greek works
- Sufis, Suni mystics, stresses a close personal relationship with Allah, you could achieve union with Allah by dancing and chanting
- Semitic speaking people of the Middle East, lived on the Arabian peninsula then spread through the Middle East
- Keiv(today: Ukraine)
- nomadic Arab people who lived in small tribes, and moved from place to place in the desert, they were herders, the leader of each tribe was called a Sheek
5 True/False Questions
Who were the people who didn't want icons? → because they are polytheistic and they haven't known anything different and because the Kaaba was pilgrimage site and nobody was going to come to the Kaaba anymore and so they didn't want to lose business
What is the Schism of 1054? → it is where Muhammad ascended to talk to Allah, it is one of the holiest sites in Islam and Judiasm
What was the west church? → The journey that Muhammad and his followers make from Mecca to Medina is called Hegira, marks the beginning of the Islamic calendar
When did Muhammad die? → 632 CE
Who was Vladimir I? → Converted to Christianity - didn't have a revelation he just did it for political power
Married the sister of the Byzantine Emperor
Made Christianity the state religion of Kievan Rus
Economically and politically advantageous for Vlad to establish stronger ties to Byzantine