- occurs with help from an enzyme: DNA polymerase strings nucleotides together
- polymerization of nucleotides is endergonic (i.e. a more complex molecule is formed)
1) each DNA strand is a template
2) bases enter at attachment point as a triphosphate
3) two phosphates are cleaved - this provides the energy needed to attach the base
4) hydrogen bonds with template base
- damage can occur from chemicals, UV light...
- common mistakes:
- depurination (loss of G or A) (can lose 10,000/day)
- thymine dimers - from UV radiation
...all errors result in the synthesis of a wrong protein
Please allow access to your computer’s microphone to use Voice Recording.