Why did England's rulers want to start colonies in North America?
1) England's rulers wanted their own colonies in the Americas ( seeing Spain's riches from it's colonies);
2) lumber + raw materials
What was the "Lost Colony?"
Roanoke, VA apx 1590
All settlers mysteriously disappeared.
What was the Virginia Company?
1) English merchants wanted to try again to start a colony in Virginia (early 1600s).
2) With the approval of King James I, the Virginia Company was established.
3) Each merchant received company stock in exchange for ----.
4) The merchants of the Virginia Company created the settlement of Jamestown (a poor choice)
Give 5 facts about Jamestown.
1) the settlement was established in 1607 by the Virginia Company
2) it was a poor choice b/c it was swampy + bad for farming
3) the colonists had no interest in farming; they had come only to find gold + get rich.
4) more than half of the colonists died the 1st year
5) it might have failed without Capt. John Smith, a good leader with effective rules
What was the Powhatan Confederacy?
Most of the Native Americans living in Virginia belonged to this group.
It's tribes were under one main chief.
Colonists gave the name Powhatan to all the tribes as well as the chief.
Why was there trouble between the Powhatan and the colonists?
The hungry colonists were stealing the Powhatan crops.
How was peace established between the Powhatan and the colonists?
Pocahontas, Chief Powhatan's daughter ;
During a brief time, the two groups cooperated by trading goods.
How did the Virginia Company end up making huge profits?
Through the sale of tobacco, a cash crop, all over Europe (it was brought by John Rolfe from the West Indies)
What were the results of tobacco as a cash crop?
1) huge profits for the Virginia Company
2) huge need for workers (which led to the employment of indentured servants)
What was the House of Burgesses?
Short Answer: Virginia's legislature, est'd 1619
*b/c of the growth of the colony, laws were needed to keep order
*Virginia Company said colonists could have same rights as people living in England
*colonists chose to set up a legislature
Why was the House of Burgesses important?
It was the first representative assembly in the English colonies.
Who could become members of the House of Burgesses?
only property-owning men
What brought about the Powhatan Wars?
1) As more colonists came to Virginia, they took over more Powhatan land.
2) In 1622, the Powhatan fought back.
What was the result of the Powhatan Wars?
King James I made Virginia a royal colony which meant that the king owned it.
To help run it, he picked a governor who shared power with the House of Burgesses.