Chapter 8 Cell Cycle
5 Written Questions
5 Matching Questions
- homologous pair
- a a pair of chromosomes, one from each parent, that have relatively similar structures and gene values
- b in interphase - cell grows rapidly, builds new organelles, phase where the cell spends most time
- c a threadlike body in the cell nucleus that carries the genes in a linear order
- d The complex of DNA and proteins that makes up a eukaryotic chromosome. When the cell is not dividing, chromatin exists as a mass of very long, thin fibers that are not visible with a light microscope.
- e any chromosome that is not a sex chromosome
5 Multiple Choice Questions
- diploid cell formed when a sperm fertilizes an egg
- Cell continues to grow and copy chromosomes
- The final period of interphase during which the cell prepares for mitosis.
- Chromosomes condense, spindles form in each new cell, and spindle fibers attach to chromosomes.
- the region of the chromosome that holds the two sister chromatids together during mitosis
5 True/False Questions
crossing over → process in which homologous chromosomes exchange portions of their chromatids during meiosis
cytokinesis → organic process consisting of the division of the cytoplasm of a cell following karyokinesis bringing about the separation into two daughter cells
benign tumor → the region of the chromosome that holds the two sister chromatids together during mitosis
sister chromatid → one of the two identical parts of a duplicated chromosome in a eukaryotic cell
Random Fertilization → error in meiosis in which homologous chromosomes fail to separate