5 Written Questions
5 Matching Questions
- Lay Investiture
- Pepin the Short
- a First of the Germanic tribes to invade and attack the city of Rome
- b The appointment of a bishop, abbot, or church official by the king or another non-church leader
- c He was Charles Martel's son. He defeated the Lombards and gave their land to the Pope. This territoy became the Papal States. He was annointed King by the Grace of God.
- d A gnostic heresy which plagued Europe in the Middle Ages and sparked the establishment of the Inquisition
- e Holy book of Islam
5 Multiple Choice Questions
- Another name for the Teutonic Knights
- remission of the temporal punishment for sin
- Last of the barbarian invaders, originated in China
- emperor who ruled at the height of the Byzantine Empire and built the Hagia Sophia
- complied under emperor Justinian I, collection of all roman laws.
5 True/False Questions
Hagia Sophia → Peace of Rome
Knights Hospitallers → Order of knights established to defend Jerusalem and provide medical assistance
Allah → Islamic word for God
Charles Martel → Carolingian monarch of Franks; responsible for defeating Muslims in battle of Tours in 732; ended Muslim threat to western Europe.
Spanish Inquisition → a former tribunal of the Roman Catholic Church (1232-1820) created to discover and suppress heresy