5 Written Questions
5 Matching Questions
- Peripheral Nervous System (PNS)
- Myelinated Sheath
- Interstitial Fluid
- a An integrated group of cells with a common structure, function or both
- b Wrapped around the axon of a neuron, an insulating coat of cell membranes from Schwann cells or oligodendrocytes. It is interrupted by nodes of Ranvier, where action potentials are generated
- c The sensory and motor neurons that connect to the central nervous system
- d The fluid filling the spaces between cells in most animals
- e ...
5 Multiple Choice Questions
- A specialized center of body function composed of several different types of tissues
- Animal tissue that functions mainly to bind and support other tissues, having a sparse population of cells scattered through an extracellular matrix
- An efferent branch of the vertebrate peripheral nervous system that regulates the internal environment; consists of the sympathetic, parasympathetic, and enteric divisions.
- Gap in the myelin sheath of certain axons where an action potential may be generated. In saltatory conduction, an action potential is regenerated at each node, appearing to "jump" along the axon from node to node
- The potential that an excitable cell membrane must reach for an action potential to be initiated
5 True/False Questions
Parasympathetic Division → One of the tree divisions of the autonomic nervous system; generally increases energy expenditure and prepares the body for action (Fight or Flight) - causes increase in heart rate, breathing, slows digestion, liver releases glucose, inhibits emptying of bladder, releases adrenaline from adrenal medulla situations:(emergency, embarrassment, exercise, excitement)
Resting Potential → In a neuron, a shift in the membrane potential that has an amplitude proportional to signal strength and that decays as it spreads.
Neurosecretory Cells → ...
Ectotherm → An organism for which external sources provide most of the heat for temperature regulation.
Metabolic Rate → .Muscle in which the regular arrangement of filaments creates a pattern of light and dark bands