5 Written questions
5 Matching questions
- Nodes of Ranvier
- Spatial Summation
- Neurotransmitter (NT)
- Nervous Tissue
- a A molecule that is released from the synaptic terminal of a neuron at a chemical synapse, diffuses across the synaptic cleft, and binds to the post synaptic cel, triggering a response
- b Gap in the myelin sheath of certain axons where an action potential may be generated. In saltatory conduction, an action potential is regenerated at each node, appearing to "jump" along the axon from node to node
- c A phenomenon of neural integration in which the membrane potential of the post-synaptic cell is determined by the combined effect of EPSPs or IPSPs produced nearly simultaneously by different synapses.
- d Tissue made up of neurons and supportive cells.
- e An evolutionary trend toward the concentration of sensory equipment at the anterior end of the body.
5 Multiple choice questions
- A specialized endoplasmic reticulum that regulates the calcium concentration in the cytosol of muscle cells
- A gated channel for a specific ion. The opening or closing of such a channels may alter a cell's membrane potential.
- A portion of the pituitary that develops from nonneural tissue, consists of endocrine cells that synthesize and secrete several tropic and non tropic hormones
- Wrapped around the axon of a neuron, an insulating coat of cell membranes from Schwann cells or oligodendrocytes. It is interrupted by nodes of Ranvier, where action potentials are generated
5 True/False questions
Ectotherm → An organism that is warmed by heat generated by their own metabolism, Heat usually maintains a relatively stable body temperature higher than that of the external environment.
Central Nervous System (CNS) → The portion of the nervous system where signal integration occurs; in vertebrate animals, the brain and spinal cord
Synapse → The junction where a neuron communicates with another neuron or other cell across a narrow gap via a neurotransmitter(chemical) or an electrical coupling.
Myofibrils → A type of motor protein that associates into filaments that interact with actin filaments to cause cell contraction
Sarcomere → The fundamental, repeating unit of striated muscle, delimited by the Z lines