5 Written Questions
5 Matching Questions
- Enteric Division
- Neurotransmitter (NT)
- Posterior Pituitary
- Neurosecretory Cells
- a A specialized center of body function composed of several different types of tissues
- b ...
- c One of the three divisions of the autonomic nervous system; consists of networks of neurons in the digestive tract, pancreas, and gall bladder; normally regulated by the sympathetic and parasympathetic divisions of the autonomic nervous system. (secretions + peristalsis can function independently from parasympathetic and sympathetic but can also be affected by it)
- d A molecule that is released from the synaptic terminal of a neuron at a chemical synapse, diffuses across the synaptic cleft, and binds to the post synaptic cel, triggering a response
- e An extension of the hypothalamus composed of nervous tissue that secretes oxytocin and antidiuretic hormone made in the hypothalamus, temporary storage site for these hormones.
5 Multiple Choice Questions
- An electrical change (depolarization) in the membrane of a post-synaptic cell caused by the binding of an excitatory neurotransmitter from a presynaptic cell to a post-synaptic cell; makes it more likely for a post-synaptic cell to generate an action potential.
- A hormone that has an endocrine gland or cells as a target.
- The fundamental, repeating unit of striated muscle, delimited by the Z lines
- The membrane potential characteristic of a nonconducting excitable cell, within the inside of the cell more negative than the outside
5 True/False Questions
Hypothalamus → The ventral part of the vertebrate forebrain; functions in maintaining homeostasis, especially in coordinating the endocrine and nervous systems; secretes hormones of the posterior pituitary and releasing factors that regulate the anterior pituitary
Cephalization → An evolutionary trend toward the concentration of sensory equipment at the anterior end of the body.
Muscle Tissue → Tissue made up of neurons and supportive cells.
Actin → ...
Essential Nutrients → A substance that an organism cannot synthesize from any other material and therefore must absorb in preassembled.