5 Written Questions
5 Matching Questions
- William M. "Boss" Tweed
- Walter Rauschenbusch
- Workingman's Party of California
- a most basic and cheepest accommodations on a steamship.
- b americans believed no matter how humble their origins, they could rise in society and go as far as their talents and commitment would take them.
- c another anti-immigrant organization to fight Chinese immigration organized by Denis Kearney.
- d led the Social Gospel movement. he believed competition was the cause of social problems.
- e Tammany Hall's leader who got sent to prison in 1874 for his curroption
5 Multiple Choice Questions
- danish-born journalist who observed that a map of NYC ,"colored to designate nationalities, would show more stripes that on the skin of a zebra" also documented slum life in his book How the Other Half Lives
- Carnegie attempted to extend and soften the harsh philosophy of Social Darwinism with the this...philosophy held that wealthy americans had responsibility of philanthropy-using their fortunes to further social progress and donate money
- proposed idea of social darwinism. he applied Charles Darwin's theory of evolution and natural selection to human society and argued that human society evolved selection-only the fittest people survived "Survival of the fittest"
- president of Chicago YMCA
- ran political machines. provided jobs housing food and heat to city dwellers.
5 True/False Questions
americanization → music echoed the hectic pace of city life
Horatio ALger → no one expressed the idea of indivudualism better than him. wrote "rags-to-riches" album
Edward Bellamy → posed as an immigrant in order to write a book on immigration
Scott joplin → important African Amer ragtime composer-became known as "King of Ragtime" and published his signature piece "The Maple Leaf Rag"
Denis Kearney → an irish immigrant who organized Workingman's Party of California