5 Written questions
5 Matching questions
- Henry George
- George Pulunkitt
- Coney Island
- a argued with social darwinism and realism and said that people failed in life b/c they were caught up in circumstances they could not control. In other words, leaving society and the economy unregulated did not always lead to the best result.
- b getting money through dishonest or questionable means. Plunkitt defended "honest graft"
- c had amusements such as water slides and railrode rides
- d published "Progress and Poverty" which stated the present century has been marked by a prodigious increase in wealth-producing power. he explained the gulf between the employed and the employer is growing wider. he offered solution to poverty, land, which he argued was the basis of wealth. he proposed a "single tax" on this unearned wealth to replace all other taxes and provided the govt enough money to help poor. he challenged ideas of social darwinism and laissez-faire
- e one of New York's most powerful party bosses
5 Multiple choice questions
- an informal political group designed to gain and keep power, came about partly because cities had grown much faster than their govts.
- a process in which immigrants became knowledgeable about american culture and to assimilate immigrants into american culture. public schools were crucial for this.
- danish-born journalist who observed that a map of NYC ,"colored to designate nationalities, would show more stripes that on the skin of a zebra" also documented slum life in his book How the Other Half Lives
- important African Amer ragtime composer-became known as "King of Ragtime" and published his signature piece "The Maple Leaf Rag"
- attempted to portray people realistically instead of idealizing them as romantic artists had done
5 True/False questions
Gospel of Wealth → Carnegie attempted to extend and soften the harsh philosophy of Social Darwinism with the this...philosophy held that wealthy americans had responsibility of philanthropy-using their fortunes to further social progress and donate money
Herbert Spencer → proposed idea of social darwinism. he applied Charles Darwin's theory of evolution and natural selection to human society and argued that human society evolved selection-only the fittest people survived "Survival of the fittest"
Henry Bowers → despised catholics and fereigners and committed to stop immigration and lead the American Protective Association
Chinese Exclusion Act → insurrection against chinese government took 20 million lives and caused thousands of chinese to leave for US
taping rebellion → insurrection against chinese government took 20 million lives and caused thousands of chinese to leave for US