← history ch. 15 Test
5 Written Questions
5 Matching Questions
- Social Darwinism
- Jacob Riis
- Henry George
- a published "Progress and Poverty" which stated the present century has been marked by a prodigious increase in wealth-producing power. he explained the gulf between the employed and the employer is growing wider. he offered solution to poverty, land, which he argued was the basis of wealth. he proposed a "single tax" on this unearned wealth to replace all other taxes and provided the govt enough money to help poor. he challenged ideas of social darwinism and laissez-faire
- b attempted to portray people realistically instead of idealizing them as romantic artists had done
- c dark and crowded mjulti-family apartments
- d reinforced idea of individualism. Herbert Spenceer proposed this idea.
- e danish-born journalist who observed that a map of NYC ,"colored to designate nationalities, would show more stripes that on the skin of a zebra" also documented slum life in his book How the Other Half Lives
5 Multiple Choice Questions
- music echoed the hectic pace of city life
- published "Dynamic Sociology" which took ideas of Darwinism and argued that human beings were diff from animals in nature b/c they had the ability to think and make plans to produce future outcomes.His ideas became "Reform Darwinism" he said that people succeeded in the world because of their ability to cooperate. he believed competition was wasteful.
- argued with social darwinism and realism and said that people failed in life b/c they were caught up in circumstances they could not control. In other words, leaving society and the economy unregulated did not always lead to the best result.
- posed as an immigrant in order to write a book on immigration
- despised catholics and fereigners and committed to stop immigration and lead the American Protective Association
5 True/False Questions
Coney Island → had amusements such as water slides and railrode rides
taping rebellion → published "Looking Backward" novel about man who fell asleep in 1887 and wakes up in year 2000 in a "perfect society" with no crime or poverty and the govt owns all industry and shares equally with americans. These ideas were a form of socialism
William M. "Boss" Tweed → Tammany Hall's leader who got sent to prison in 1874 for his curroption
American Protective Association → a process in which immigrants became knowledgeable about american culture and to assimilate immigrants into american culture. public schools were crucial for this.
graft → covered with gold on outside but made of cheap material inside. appears to sparkle but Twain and Warner pointed out that beneath the surface lay curruption, poverty, and crime.