← history ch. 15 Test
5 Written Questions
5 Matching Questions
- Angel Island
- Workingman's Party of California
- William M. "Boss" Tweed
- Henry George
- a california opened barracks on this place to accomodate the asian immigrants who awaited the results of their immigration hearings in packed dorms.
- b most basic and cheepest accommodations on a steamship.
- c Tammany Hall's leader who got sent to prison in 1874 for his curroption
- d published "Progress and Poverty" which stated the present century has been marked by a prodigious increase in wealth-producing power. he explained the gulf between the employed and the employer is growing wider. he offered solution to poverty, land, which he argued was the basis of wealth. he proposed a "single tax" on this unearned wealth to replace all other taxes and provided the govt enough money to help poor. he challenged ideas of social darwinism and laissez-faire
- e another anti-immigrant organization to fight Chinese immigration organized by Denis Kearney.
5 Multiple Choice Questions
- extreme dislike for immigrants by native-born people and a desire to limit immigration
- law barred Chinese immigration for 10 years and prevented the Chinese already in the country from becoming citizens
- proposed idea of social darwinism. he applied Charles Darwin's theory of evolution and natural selection to human society and argued that human society evolved selection-only the fittest people survived "Survival of the fittest"
- Carnegie attempted to extend and soften the harsh philosophy of Social Darwinism with the this...philosophy held that wealthy americans had responsibility of philanthropy-using their fortunes to further social progress and donate money
- novel written by Mark Twain and Charles Warner, it was a time of marvels where amazing new inventions led to rapid industrial growth.
5 True/False Questions
naturalism → extreme dislike for immigrants by native-born people and a desire to limit immigration
Edward Bellamy → posed as an immigrant in order to write a book on immigration
American Protective Association → one of the anti-immigrant organizations that was lead by Henry Bowers who despised catholics and fereigners and committed to stop immigration.
George Pulunkitt → Carnegie attempted to extend and soften the harsh philosophy of Social Darwinism with the this...philosophy held that wealthy americans had responsibility of philanthropy-using their fortunes to further social progress and donate money
party bosses → ran political machines. provided jobs housing food and heat to city dwellers.