← history ch. 15 Test
5 Written Questions
5 Matching Questions
- Louis Sullivan
- William M. "Boss" Tweed
- taping rebellion
- a Tammany Hall's leader who got sent to prison in 1874 for his curroption
- b attempted to portray people realistically instead of idealizing them as romantic artists had done
- c americans believed no matter how humble their origins, they could rise in society and go as far as their talents and commitment would take them.
- d insurrection against chinese government took 20 million lives and caused thousands of chinese to leave for US
- e no one contributed more to the design of skyscrapers than him.
5 Multiple Choice Questions
- had amusements such as water slides and railrode rides
- covered with gold on outside but made of cheap material inside. appears to sparkle but Twain and Warner pointed out that beneath the surface lay curruption, poverty, and crime.
- Carnegie attempted to extend and soften the harsh philosophy of Social Darwinism with the this...philosophy held that wealthy americans had responsibility of philanthropy-using their fortunes to further social progress and donate money
- published "Progress and Poverty" which stated the present century has been marked by a prodigious increase in wealth-producing power. he explained the gulf between the employed and the employer is growing wider. he offered solution to poverty, land, which he argued was the basis of wealth. he proposed a "single tax" on this unearned wealth to replace all other taxes and provided the govt enough money to help poor. he challenged ideas of social darwinism and laissez-faire
- established settlement homes in poor neighborhoods, where middle-class residents lived and helped poor.
5 True/False Questions
party bosses → despised catholics and fereigners and committed to stop immigration and lead the American Protective Association
Frank J. Sprague → developed the electric trolley car
nativism → argued with social darwinism and realism and said that people failed in life b/c they were caught up in circumstances they could not control. In other words, leaving society and the economy unregulated did not always lead to the best result.
Dwight L. Moody → president of Chicago YMCA
Scott joplin → important African Amer ragtime composer-became known as "King of Ragtime" and published his signature piece "The Maple Leaf Rag"