5 Written questions
5 Matching questions
- Horatio ALger
- American Protective Association
- Lester Frank Ward
- taping rebellion
- Washington Gladden
- a published "Dynamic Sociology" which took ideas of Darwinism and argued that human beings were diff from animals in nature b/c they had the ability to think and make plans to produce future outcomes.His ideas became "Reform Darwinism" he said that people succeeded in the world because of their ability to cooperate. he believed competition was wasteful.
- b tried to apply "christian law" to social problems.
- c no one expressed the idea of indivudualism better than him. wrote "rags-to-riches" album
- d insurrection against chinese government took 20 million lives and caused thousands of chinese to leave for US
- e one of the anti-immigrant organizations that was lead by Henry Bowers who despised catholics and fereigners and committed to stop immigration.
5 Multiple choice questions
- novel written by Mark Twain and Charles Warner, it was a time of marvels where amazing new inventions led to rapid industrial growth.
- had amusements such as water slides and railrode rides
- one of New York's most powerful party bosses
- immigrants passed through it in about a day. very hectic. immigrants filed past the doctor for an inspection.
- important African Amer ragtime composer-became known as "King of Ragtime" and published his signature piece "The Maple Leaf Rag"
5 True/False questions
Workingman's Party of California → tried to apply "christian law" to social problems.
Edward Bellamy → posed as an immigrant in order to write a book on immigration
Henry Bowers → published "Progress and Poverty" which stated the present century has been marked by a prodigious increase in wealth-producing power. he explained the gulf between the employed and the employer is growing wider. he offered solution to poverty, land, which he argued was the basis of wealth. he proposed a "single tax" on this unearned wealth to replace all other taxes and provided the govt enough money to help poor. he challenged ideas of social darwinism and laissez-faire
Chinese Exclusion Act → had amusements such as water slides and railrode rides
individualism → americans believed no matter how humble their origins, they could rise in society and go as far as their talents and commitment would take them.