5 Written Questions
5 Matching Questions
- Columbia River
- The Dalles
- the Kwakiutis
- He spoke out against fighting. He said that the Iroquois must come together.
- religious ceremonies
- a What was the third chief of the Algonquian tribes in charge of?
- b What was one of the greatest trading centers on the Columbia River?
- c Who were some of the best woodcarvers in the Northwest Coast?
- d The __________ __________ became the "highway"of the Northwest.
- e What did a man named Deganawida say in an Iroquois legend?
5 Multiple Choice Questions
- a loose group of governments working together
- In a Chinook village, who lived in each house?
- Why did tribes of the Northwest Coast often attack each other?
- Whale hunts were very important to the ________.
- Why did some Algonquian tribes have two chiefs?
5 True/False Questions
The Chinooks and other Northwest Coast people held potlaches to show their wealth. → What were totem poles used for?
slash-and-burn → a long wooden building in which several related Iroquois families lived together
Some people had to move to new places, build new villages, and start clearing new fields. → What happened when fertilizer was not used to maintain a farm?
wampum → strings of beads that were made from seashells
Great Council → a group that makes laws