5 Written questions
5 Matching questions
- Political Support for Expansionism
- Panic of 1857
- Texas Settlement
- treaty of guadalupe hidalgo
- Mr. Polk's War
- a 1848 mexico gave up land north of rio grande alta california and new mexico
- b whigs critics questioned border incedent accused polk of misleading congress and starting unnecessary war northerners thought it was a plot to expand slaverry wondered why polk settled for part of oregon but went to war for mexico slave. polk planned most of the war even though he hadnt been in the military
- c comanche indians and mexicans ricos y vaqueros good with horses mexicans wanted to increase buffer between them and natives so granted the austins land for americans to settle KEEP GOING!!!!!
- d banking crisis caused a credit cruch in north less severe in southwhere high cotton prices spured a quick recovery.1857-1858 because of failure of an ohio investment house led to panic selling. cause was downturn of agricultural exports to britain.
- e Polk pres 1845-49, democrates slave owners
5 Multiple choice questions
- american farmers poured into oregon b/c free land and patriotism became the first perminate settlers
- phrase commonly used by those who favored greater expansion after treaty of guadalupa hidalgo
- texas oregon and california all became frontiers of exclusion after americans populated the area. Texas had enclaves with little outside communication. oregon sexual contact w natives/ fur trading post
- oct 16 1859 brown led men to raid arsenal at harpers ferry virginia no slave joined the fight 2 sons died and brown was captured and hanged became a myrtyr. north mourned death thought of him as a god south mhated it said it provoked slave revolts
- strongly to the economic self-interest of the northerners and westerners. called for no slavery in free territories protective tarrif free land for homesteaders and internal improvements to encourage western settlement railraod to pacific. got lincoln to run for president for republicans
5 True/False questions
Kansas-Nebraska Act → 1854 created kansar and nebraska territories but left slavery up to residents repealed missouri compromise led to bleedin kansas
Lecompton Constitution → annexed by john tyler last act as president van buren didnt do anything december 1845 texas became 15th slave state
Uncle Tom's Cabin → oct 16 1859 brown led men to raid arsenal at harpers ferry virginia no slave joined the fight 2 sons died and brown was captured and hanged became a myrtyr. north mourned death thought of him as a god south mhated it said it provoked slave revolts
"Bleeding Kansas" → anti immigration party formed from the wreckage of the whig party and some dis affected northerrn democrates 1854. came from nativism. only select native born protestants pledged to never vote for a catholic. said i know nothing when questioned about a belief.
Dred Scott Decision → because lincoln was elected south lef union. south didnt want to become a perminate minority in politics dec 20 1860 south carolina voted to sucede and other states followed thought that there would be no violenece