5 Written Questions
5 Matching Questions
- James Buchanan
- Panic of 1857
- Lecompton Constitution
- fifty four forty or fight
- Lone Star Republic
- a proslavery draft 1857 by kansas teritorial delegates elected under questionable circumstances rejected by 2 govenors supported by buchanan and devisivly defeated by congress
- b coined by james k polk suggested that the us wpuld go to war if it didnt get control of the territory south of 54 40 noth latitude. but polk compromised and in 1846 treaty with the 49th parallel
- c texas free from mexico but not a state????
- d banking crisis caused a credit cruch in north less severe in southwhere high cotton prices spured a quick recovery.1857-1858 because of failure of an ohio investment house led to panic selling. cause was downturn of agricultural exports to britain.
- e northern man with southern principles supreme court? dred scott? idont thinks so. president accused of interfearing w/ dred scott case
5 Multiple Choice Questions
- polk compromised and in 1846 treaty with the 49th parallel. gave britain vancouver
- phrase commonly used by those who favored greater expansion after treaty of guadalupa hidalgo
- march 6 1857 dred scott sued for his freedom claiming that because he had been in free states that he was also free. taaney said that the federal gov could not intersere with the movement of property(slaves). also only citizens could go to court scott was a slave.
- annexed by john tyler last act as president van buren didnt do anything december 1845 texas became 15th slave state
5 True/False Questions
oregon fever → american farmers poured into oregon b/c free land and patriotism became the first perminate settlers
Zachary Taylor → war hero elected 1848 slaveholoder but didnt want to expand slavery whigs when van buren ran he got enough votes to keep cass lost and taylor won died before term complete
Frontiers of Inclusion/Exclusion → texas oregon and california all became frontiers of exclusion after americans populated the area. Texas had enclaves with little outside communication. oregon sexual contact w natives/ fur trading post
Uncle Tom's Cabin → book writted by harriot breecher stowe in 1851was about slave's life under cruel master
Know-Nothing Party → in north north knew south would leave union b4 accepting it established link between expansioon and sectional politics bc northern expansion hard when going against slave south