5 Written Questions
5 Matching Questions
- Manifest Destiny
- "All Mexico" Movement
- Panic of 1857
- Lecompton Constitution
- a banking crisis caused a credit cruch in north less severe in southwhere high cotton prices spured a quick recovery.1857-1858 because of failure of an ohio investment house led to panic selling. cause was downturn of agricultural exports to britain.
- b john o'sullivan belief that americans had the god given right to expand superceeded other laws
- c antiimmigration feelings as a result of the break up of the whig party. in reaction to most immigrants voting democrat(because of whig hostility/antiblack prejudices)
- d phrase commonly used by those who favored greater expansion after treaty of guadalupa hidalgo
- e proslavery draft 1857 by kansas teritorial delegates elected under questionable circumstances rejected by 2 govenors supported by buchanan and devisivly defeated by congress
5 Multiple Choice Questions
- american farmers poured into oregon b/c free land and patriotism became the first perminate settlers
- admitted california as free new mexico and utah coulod choose ended slave trade in district of columbia toughened fugitive slave law
- anti immigration party formed from the wreckage of the whig party and some dis affected northerrn democrates 1854. came from nativism. only select native born protestants pledged to never vote for a catholic. said i know nothing when questioned about a belief.
- book writted by harriot breecher stowe in 1851was about slave's life under cruel master
- because lincoln was elected south lef union. south didnt want to become a perminate minority in politics dec 20 1860 south carolina voted to sucede and other states followed thought that there would be no violenece
5 True/False Questions
Dred Scott Decision → march 6 1857 dred scott sued for his freedom claiming that because he had been in free states that he was also free. taaney said that the federal gov could not intersere with the movement of property(slaves). also only citizens could go to court scott was a slave.
treaty of guadalupe hidalgo → 1848 mexico gave up land north of rio grande alta california and new mexico
freesoil party → in north north knew south would leave union b4 accepting it established link between expansioon and sectional politics bc northern expansion hard when going against slave south
liberty party → in north north knew south would leave union b4 accepting it established link between expansioon and sectional politics bc northern expansion hard when going against slave south
Mr. Polk's War → oct 16 1859 brown led men to raid arsenal at harpers ferry virginia no slave joined the fight 2 sons died and brown was captured and hanged became a myrtyr. north mourned death thought of him as a god south mhated it said it provoked slave revolts