5 Written Questions
5 Matching Questions
- Empress of India
- a a highly addictive substance made from the sap of the opium poppy , the product smuggled into China by the British
- b This Spanish priest led the rebellion against Spain and was executed for it. The rebellion was ultimately successful and Mexico won its independence in 1821.
- c A Chinese secret society that blamed the country's ills on foreigners, especially missionaries, and rose in rebellion in 1899-1900
- d title adopted by Queen Victoria in 1877 to reflect British rule of India
- e One of the 2 port cities where Europeans were permitted to trade with China during the Ming Dynasty.
5 Multiple Choice Questions
- British entrepreneur in South Africa around 1900; manipulated political situation in South Africa to gain entry to resources of Boer republics; encouraged Boer War as means of destroying Boer independence.
- Led a revolt in Haiti of 100,000 enslaved Africans. led black rebels found and declare independent Haiti, which still exists today
- Dutch descended colonist living in South Africa. Also called Afrikaners.
- (1884-1885) During European Imperialism, various European leaders met in Berlin, Germany to discuss plans for dividing Africa peacefully. These leaders had little regard for African independence, and had no representation for native Africans. This began the process of imperializing Africa.
- China's last emperor who was an infant when put into power; the Qing dynasty fell soon afterwards
5 True/False Questions
Great Trek → People of European ancestry born in Spanish New World colonies; dominated local economies; ranked socially below peninsulares.
Quinine → from the bark of the cinchona tree, is used to treat fever and relieves muscle spasm, also prevents malaria
Qing Dynasty → British colony in China, received after the first Opium War and returned to China in 1997
Mestizoes → Dutch descended colonist living in South Africa. Also called Afrikaners.
Pedro I → ruled Brazil; he proclaimed himself emperor of independent Brazil