5 Written Questions
5 Matching Questions
- parascaris equorum
- onchocerca cervicalis
- a adults are medium sized with a ring of teeth around front edge of mouth. Often reddish brown due to ingestion of blood. Ova have thin smooth shell containing clump of cells when passed in feces.
- b adult flies are transversely striped and look similar to bees, no mouth parts. Larvae 1-2 cmc in length, yellowish or red-brown with transverse segmentation and short bristles.
- c adults are large, segmented with scolex at anterior end. Up to 8 m long. Eggs are irregularly shaped and contain 6 hooked larva. Similar to monezia in ruminants.
- d ingest larvated ova. Ova hatches and migrates to the liver, heart and lungs. Coughed up then swallowed as mature adult.
- e adults live in the nucei ligament. Females produce microfilaria that migrate to the dermis.
5 Multiple Choice Questions
- cause severe pruritis. Infestation of lower limbs can cause foot stamping. Can also infect the tail head region in horses.
- can interfere with the growth and development of pigs. Can migrate to the liver and cause "milk spots" which are not likely significant. If they migrate to the lungs they can cause respiratory disease.
- found in the large intestine in pigs.
- generally considered non pathogenic. heavy infestations can rarely cause intestinal obstruction or perforation. May be involved with certain types of colic.
- adults release proglottids in small or large intestine. Ova are passed in the feces and ingested by a free living mite. host ingests mite.
5 True/False Questions
tapeworms → strongylus vulgaris, strongylus edentatus, strongylus equinus are types of....
quest plus, eqvalan gold → adults are large, segmented with scolex at anterior end. Up to 8 m long. Eggs are irregularly shaped and contain 6 hooked larva. Similar to monezia in ruminants.
equine lice → treat pigs with ivomec.
8-12 weeks → how often should horses in highly concentrated areas be dewormed?
sarcocystis neurona → a parasite which invades the spinal cord and causes a disease called equine protozoal myeloencephalitis.