5 Written Questions
5 Matching Questions
- Resting Metabolic Rate
- Somatic Nervous System
- Food Irradiation
- a The treatment of foods with gamma rays, x-rays, or high-voltage electrons to kill potentially harmful pathogens and increase shelf life.
- b Vegetables such as peas and beans that are high in fiber and are also important sources of proteins.
- c The energy required (in calories) to maintain vital body functions, including respiration, heart rate, body temperature, and blood pressure, while the body is at rest.
- d The branch of the peripheral nervous system that governs motor functions and sensory information, largely under conscious control.
- e A deposit of fatty substances on the inner wall of the arteries.
5 Multiple Choice Questions
- A food-group that provides practical advice to ensure a balanced intake of the essential nutrients.
- Fiber that dissolves in water and is not broken down by bacteria in the large intestine.
- Heart Disease caused by atherosclerosis in the arteries that supply blood to the heart muscle.
- A mood disorder characterized by loss of interest, sadness, hopelessness, loss of appetite, disturbed sleep, and other physical symptoms.
- The collective physiological and emotional responses to any stimulus that disturbs an individual's homeostasis.
5 True/False Questions
Free Radical → A steroid hormone secreted by the cortex (outer layer) of the adrenal gland; also called hydrocortisone
Daily Values → A simplified version of the RDAs used on food labels; also included are values for nutrients with no established RDA.
Atherosclerosis → A condition in which the bones become thin and brittle and break easily.
Eating Disorder → A serious disturbance in eating patterns or eating-related behavior, characterized by a negative body image and concerns about body weight or body fat.
Eustress → Stress resulting from a pleasant stressor.