5 Written Questions
5 Matching Questions
- a True or False? The ETC makes no ATP directly, as its function is to ease the fall of electrons from food to oxygen, breaking a large free-energy drop into a series of smaller steps.
- b a catabolic process-partial degradation of sugars that occurs without the use of oxygen
- c What compound is released from pyruvate to initiate alcohol fermentation?
- d NAD+ when it its charge has neutralized by receviing two negatively charged electrons but only one positively charged proton
- e the process in which energy stored in the form of a hydrogen ion gradient across a membrane is used to drive cellular work such as the synthesis of ATP.
5 Multiple Choice Questions
- the addition of electrons to another substance
- electron carriers/proteins between ubiquinone and oxygen
- fermentation in which pyruvate is reduced directly by NADH to form lactate as an end product with no release of CO2 (muscles resort to this if there's not enough O2)
- the first step of respiration, it occurs in the cytosol, which begins the degradation process by breaking glucose into two molecules of a compound called pyruvate
- How much FADH2 is made after 1 turn of the citric acid cycle?
5 True/False Questions
electron transport chain → consisting of a number of molecules, mostly proteins, built into the inner membrane of a mitochondrion. Electrons removed from food are shuttled by NADH to the top, higher energy end to the bottom, lower energy end.
feedback inhibition → the addition of electrons to another substance
carbon dioxide, water, and energy → Organic compounds react with oxygen to produce... (the equation of cellular respiration)
Cristae → True or False? The ETC makes no ATP directly, as its function is to ease the fall of electrons from food to oxygen, breaking a large free-energy drop into a series of smaller steps.
oxidizing agent → the electron acceptor