5 Written questions
5 Matching questions
- Nelson Mandela
- a not allied with any side in a conflict
- b A group of reform-minded revolutionaries that included a large number of women and students who overthrew the Nicaraguan government in 1979
- c A leader in the African National Congress who was imprisoned from 1964 - 1990. He became President of South Africa in 1994, after apartheid ended
- d restructuring of Soviet government and economy in the 1980s
- e policy of strict racial separation in South Africa; abolished in 1989
5 Multiple choice questions
- An independent trade union, which claimed 10 million members who pressed for political change in Poland
- Muslims who strictly follow the teachings of the Koran and reject western ideas.
- Cambodian Communist guerillas that unleashed a reign of terror under Pol Pot
- mass uprising mounted by Palestinians in territory held by Israel
- A political organization created in 1912 to oppose white domination in South Africa. The group protested through marches, boycotts, and strikes
5 True/False questions
Glasnost → policy of openness instituted by Soviet leader Mikhail Gorbachev in the 1980s
Lech Walesa → leader of Solidarity that helped Poland gain independence from the Soviet Union, later became president of Poland in 1990
Palestine Liberation Organization → A group formed in 1964 that represents many Palestinian nationalist groups and is dedicated to the destruction of Israel
Four Modernizations → The Chinese economic reform program under Deng Xiaoping that emphasized agriculture, industry, science, and defense.
Indira Gandhi → The prime minister of India who led several reform movements and was assassinated in 1983.