5 Written questions
5 Matching questions
- Nelson Mandela
- Indira Gandhi
- European Union
- Lech Walesa
- a leader of Solidarity that helped Poland gain independence from the Soviet Union, later became president of Poland in 1990
- b A leader in the African National Congress who was imprisoned from 1964 - 1990. He became President of South Africa in 1994, after apartheid ended
- c Easing of tensions between the United States and the Soviet Union in the 1970's
- d A trade organization of Western European countries built on the idea of economic cooperation and use of the euro.
- e The prime minister of India who led several reform movements and was assassinated in 1983.
5 Multiple choice questions
- An Anglican Bishop who won the Nobel Peace Prize for his nonviolent opposition to apartheid in South Africa
- was elected president of South Africa in 1989. He called for an end to apartheid and freed Nelson Mandela in 1990.
- policy of openness instituted by Soviet leader Mikhail Gorbachev in the 1980s
- leader of the Palestinian Liberation Organization and his goal was the destruction of Israel
- The revolutionary Islamic fundamentalist leader of Iran who came to power in 1979
5 True/False questions
Mikhail Gorbachev → was the last Communist leader of the Soviet Union. He is known for his work to end Cold War tensions, and reform of the Soviet government & economy.
Islamic Fundamentalists → A group of reform-minded revolutionaries that included a large number of women and students who overthrew the Nicaraguan government in 1979
Pol Pot → Leader of the Khmer Rouge in Cambodia, who killed over one million Cambodians throughout the 1970's
Hamas → guerrillas who fought against the Sandinistas in Nicaragua
Apartheid → mass uprising mounted by Palestinians in territory held by Israel