what two major points does the Wunderman test illustrates about the mind set of direct marketers?
- simply the idea of staging a test
- keen insight about how to initiate a dialogue with the consumer
an interactive system of marketing, which uses one or more advertising media to effect a measurable response and/or transaction at any location
what did L.L. Bean realize all long-term relationships were based on?
three purposes of direct marketing
1. to close the sales with a customer
2. identify prospects for future contacts
3. Initiated as a means to engage customers, seek their advice, furnish helpful information about using a product, reward customers for using a brand, and in general foster brand loyalty.
Ex. 17.5 and Ex. 17.6 --- what is the purpose or intent of both of these ads?
Initiate dialogue with prospective customers
stairmaster - order video
wyoming - visit website
five reasons for the growing popularity of direct marketing?
- more liberal attitudes on credit debt
- developments in telecommunications
- unique advantages
*persistent emphasis on producing measurable effects
key is database, direct marketers secret weapon; mailing lists; list enhancement: 4 types of information added
; key characteristic of a marketing
database? (= critical distinction between marketing database and a mailing list p. 610)
-direct input from customers
social media box --- how did Josh Linkler get NASCAR fans to provide personal data on
themselves via a game on the web that he used to build a marketing database?
Decoder contests, then he
uses the database to sell them stuff!
marketing database applications
- asks how recently and how often a specific customer is buying from a company, and how much money he or she is spending per order and over time.
e.g. how Ben and Jerry's Ice Cream uses their marketing database
1. to find out how consumers react to potential new flavors and product ideas
2. to involve their customers in social causes
- have three basic elements: a database, a benefit package, and a communication strategy
- identify customers who already purchase some of a firm's products and create marketing programs aimed at these customers but featuring other products
the one dark cloud that looms on the database marketing horizon?
consumers' concern about invasion of privacy
media applications in direct marketing
direct mail requires high cost but lends itself to
testing and experimentation; telemarketing is an invasive tool that is expensive
email. key premise on netiquette? OG's advise on the use of bulk emails?
- get the consumer's permission to send information about specific products or services, or, to use the current buzzword, they must "opt in"
-stay away from the low-cost temptations of bulk email
globalization box --- why is there more spam all the time?
spammer Laura, due to the low
costs of the net, spammers can make money on a response rate as low as .001%
infomercial definition plus gist of discussion
A long television advertisement
good rule of thumb for a 30
to have three ten-minute increments with three closes
personal selling. 4 types of selling:
critical in many product/market situations; order taking, creative, system, missionary
involves accepting orders for merchandising or scheduling services
type of selling where customers rely heavily on the sales person for technical information, advice, and service
entails selling a set of interrelated components that fulfills all or a majority of a customer's needs in a particular area
Calls on accounts with the express purpose of monitoring the satisfaction of buyers and updating buyers' needs
marcom manager as a solution to coordination of IBP efforts
plans an organization's overall communications program and oversees the various functional specialists inside and outside the organization to ensure that they are working together to deliver the desired message to the customer.
customer relationship management (CRM) program
cultivating long term relations with customers. Reps spend 12 months in training for trust-building techniques. ensures greater customer satisfcation