5 Written Questions
5 Matching Questions
- Alternate Attendance
- Fujiwara Clan
- Tokugawa Ieyasu
- Minamoto Yoritomo
- a Ritual suicide or disembowelment in Japan; commonly known in West as hara-kiri; demonstrated courage and a means to restore family honor.
- b Japanese overlord who established a shogunate headed by his family for more than 250 years, isolated Japan from the world and restricted marriage to members of the same class.
- c First shogun of Japan; he started the tradition of shogunates; he passed all his land to his oldest son.
- d Powerful family of regents in Japan that monopolized the regent positions. They dominated the government of Japan 794-1160; domination of civil administration was lost by the establishment of the first shogunate.
- e The practice of each diamyo having to spend every other year in Edo.
5 Multiple Choice Questions
- Religion located in Japan and related to Buddhism, focuses particularly on nature and ancestor worship.
- During the _____ period writing, culture, ideas, and governmental policies were all adopted from Korea. The population grew, a written language was established, and Buddhism was introduced to Japan from China. The Yamato family/clan became the most important family in the nation, and started the line of Japanese Emperors. The _____ period lasted from 250 - 538.
- Attempt to remake Japanese monarch into an absolute Chinese-style emperor; included attempts to create professional bureaucracy and peasant conscript army.
- The position the Fujiwara will take over which is like prime minister
- Japanese feudal lord who commanded a private army
5 True/False Questions
Sengoku Period → The "Warring States" period that lasted from 1467-1590 during which the daimyo gain autonomous power and challenged the shoguns.
Nara Period → Period in which the government wished to give the emperor more power, similar to the Chinese emperor.
Samurai → Japanese warrior who was a member of the feudal military aristocracy
Toyotomi Hideyoshi → Japanese overlord who established a shogunate headed by his family for more than 250 years, isolated Japan from the world and restricted marriage to members of the same class.
Heian Period → (794 - 1100) Classical period which involved 300 years of developing a new culture; growth of large estates; arts and literature of china flourished; elaborate court life; personal diaries moved away from Chinese culture.