5 Written questions
5 Matching questions
- Alternate Attendance
- a The practice of each diamyo having to spend every other year in Edo.
- b Supreme military commander
- c Japanese warrior who was a member of the feudal military aristocracy
- d One the Shinto deities (including mythological beings, spirits of distinguished men, forces of nature)
- e Masterless samurai
5 Multiple choice questions
- Powerful family of regents in Japan that monopolized the regent positions. They dominated the government of Japan 794-1160; domination of civil administration was lost by the establishment of the first shogunate.
- Japanese feudal lord who commanded a private army
- The position the Fujiwara will take over which is like prime minister
- First shogun of Japan; he started the tradition of shogunates; he passed all his land to his oldest son.
- Japanese overlord who established a shogunate headed by his family for more than 250 years, isolated Japan from the world and restricted marriage to members of the same class.
5 True/False questions
Sengoku Period → (794 - 1100) Classical period which involved 300 years of developing a new culture; growth of large estates; arts and literature of china flourished; elaborate court life; personal diaries moved away from Chinese culture.
Kamikaze → The 'divine wind' that repelled the Mongolian threat.
Asuka Period → Period in which the government wished to give the emperor more power, similar to the Chinese emperor.
Bushido → Traditional code of the Japanese samurai which stressed courage and loyalty and self-discipline and simple living; "way of the warrior"
Oda Nobunaga → Japanese lord who seized the imperial capital Kyoto in 1568 and sought to rule the empire by force; revolutionized Japanese warfare (firearms)