5 Written Questions
5 Matching Questions
- Kofun Period
- Tokugawa Ieyasu
- a The 'divine wind' that repelled the Mongolian threat.
- b Japanese overlord who established a shogunate headed by his family for more than 250 years, isolated Japan from the world and restricted marriage to members of the same class.
- c Supreme military commander
- d During the _____ period writing, culture, ideas, and governmental policies were all adopted from Korea. The population grew, a written language was established, and Buddhism was introduced to Japan from China. The Yamato family/clan became the most important family in the nation, and started the line of Japanese Emperors. The _____ period lasted from 250 - 538.
- e The position the Fujiwara will take over which is like prime minister
5 Multiple Choice Questions
- Japanese lord who seized the imperial capital Kyoto in 1568 and sought to rule the empire by force; revolutionized Japanese warfare (firearms)
- The practice of each diamyo having to spend every other year in Edo.
- Attempt to remake Japanese monarch into an absolute Chinese-style emperor; included attempts to create professional bureaucracy and peasant conscript army.
- First shogun of Japan; he started the tradition of shogunates; he passed all his land to his oldest son.
- Shogun who ended the "Warring States" period and expelled the European missionaries.
5 True/False Questions
Asuka Period → Period in which a Buddhist monk married into the Royal family, bringing Chinese influence to Japan.
Seppuku → The position the Fujiwara will take over which is like prime minister
Bushido → Traditional code of the Japanese samurai which stressed courage and loyalty and self-discipline and simple living; "way of the warrior"
Nara Period → Period in which a Buddhist monk married into the Royal family, bringing Chinese influence to Japan.
Kami → Japanese feudal lord who commanded a private army