← Feudal Japan Test
5 Written Questions
5 Matching Questions
- Tokugawa Ieyasu
- Taika Reforms
- Minamoto Yoritomo
- a The position the Fujiwara will take over which is like prime minister
- b First shogun of Japan; he started the tradition of shogunates; he passed all his land to his oldest son.
- c Attempt to remake Japanese monarch into an absolute Chinese-style emperor; included attempts to create professional bureaucracy and peasant conscript army.
- d The 'divine wind' that repelled the Mongolian threat.
- e Japanese overlord who established a shogunate headed by his family for more than 250 years, isolated Japan from the world and restricted marriage to members of the same class.
5 Multiple Choice Questions
- Supreme military commander
- One the Shinto deities (including mythological beings, spirits of distinguished men, forces of nature)
- Ritual suicide or disembowelment in Japan; commonly known in West as hara-kiri; demonstrated courage and a means to restore family honor.
- Shogun who ended the "Warring States" period and expelled the European missionaries.
- Period in which the government wished to give the emperor more power, similar to the Chinese emperor.
5 True/False Questions
Daimyo → One the Shinto deities (including mythological beings, spirits of distinguished men, forces of nature)
Oda Nobunaga → Japanese warrior who was a member of the feudal military aristocracy
Fujiwara Clan → Powerful family of regents in Japan that monopolized the regent positions. They dominated the government of Japan 794-1160; domination of civil administration was lost by the establishment of the first shogunate.
Alternate Attendance → Period in which a Buddhist monk married into the Royal family, bringing Chinese influence to Japan.
Ronin → Masterless samurai