5 Written questions
5 Matching questions
- Kofun Period
- Zen Buddhism
- Heian Period
- a A sect that emphasizes enlightenment through meditation and stresses simplicity and discipline.
- b During the _____ period writing, culture, ideas, and governmental policies were all adopted from Korea. The population grew, a written language was established, and Buddhism was introduced to Japan from China. The Yamato family/clan became the most important family in the nation, and started the line of Japanese Emperors. The _____ period lasted from 250 - 538.
- c Masterless samurai
- d Traditional code of the Japanese samurai which stressed courage and loyalty and self-discipline and simple living; "way of the warrior"
- e (794 - 1100) Classical period which involved 300 years of developing a new culture; growth of large estates; arts and literature of china flourished; elaborate court life; personal diaries moved away from Chinese culture.
5 Multiple choice questions
- Ritual suicide or disembowelment in Japan; commonly known in West as hara-kiri; demonstrated courage and a means to restore family honor.
- Shogun who ended the "Warring States" period and expelled the European missionaries.
- Supreme military commander
- The "Warring States" period that lasted from 1467-1590 during which the daimyo gain autonomous power and challenged the shoguns.
- The 'divine wind' that repelled the Mongolian threat.
5 True/False questions
Nara Period → Period in which a Buddhist monk married into the Royal family, bringing Chinese influence to Japan.
Tokugawa Ieyasu → Shogun who ended the "Warring States" period and expelled the European missionaries.
Kami → The position the Fujiwara will take over which is like prime minister
Daimyo → One the Shinto deities (including mythological beings, spirits of distinguished men, forces of nature)
Oda Nobunaga → Supreme military commander