5 Written questions
5 Matching questions
- Sengoku Period
- Asuka Period
- Alternate Attendance
- a Religion located in Japan and related to Buddhism, focuses particularly on nature and ancestor worship.
- b Period in which the government wished to give the emperor more power, similar to the Chinese emperor.
- c Japanese feudal lord who commanded a private army
- d The "Warring States" period that lasted from 1467-1590 during which the daimyo gain autonomous power and challenged the shoguns.
- e The practice of each diamyo having to spend every other year in Edo.
5 Multiple choice questions
- Supreme military commander
- A sect that emphasizes enlightenment through meditation and stresses simplicity and discipline.
- One the Shinto deities (including mythological beings, spirits of distinguished men, forces of nature)
- The 'divine wind' that repelled the Mongolian threat.
- Period in which a Buddhist monk married into the Royal family, bringing Chinese influence to Japan.
5 True/False questions
Bushido → Japanese feudal lord who commanded a private army
Tokugawa Ieyasu → Shogun who ended the "Warring States" period and expelled the European missionaries.
Samurai → One the Shinto deities (including mythological beings, spirits of distinguished men, forces of nature)
Heian Period → (794 - 1100) Classical period which involved 300 years of developing a new culture; growth of large estates; arts and literature of china flourished; elaborate court life; personal diaries moved away from Chinese culture.
Fujiwara Clan → Attempt to remake Japanese monarch into an absolute Chinese-style emperor; included attempts to create professional bureaucracy and peasant conscript army.