6 rights of medication administration
1. right patient
2. right medication
3. right route
4. right dose
5. right time
6. right documentation
(7. right to refuse)
- go out to the hundreths and then round to the tenths
Round weight to the ______.
___ pounds = _ kg
calculations are based more one ______ than ____.
Start with most _________ or most _____ medicine first.
Protective Mechanisms that Pediatrics lack
- thin & permeable skin
- lacks gastric acid
- lacks lung mucosal barriers
- poorly regulated body temp
- immature liver & kidney
Site of choice if > 7 months old
Site of choice for infants < 12 months receiving immunizations
Not used in infants or children with underdeveloped muscles. May be used for toddlers and older children.
Factors affecting IM site selection
- avoid nerves and vessels
- less subcutaneous thickness
- muscle mass appropriate to med volume
- ease of access or position
Safe Doseage Range
The amount of a medication that can be administered to a child without overdosing or under-dosing.