5 Written Questions
5 Matching Questions
- ben franklin
- alliance with france
- boston massacre
- Peace of Paris 1783
- declaration of independence
- a British soldiers were stealing jobs stationed after the proclomation of 1763. Soldiers had to compete with the lower class for jobs. Soldiers kill 5 colonists out of a protest mob and injure 8. Ironically townshend acts were repealed that day except tea (no telephones) two years of relative peace followed
- b Britain now recognized America as separate; their boundary is farther west; Declaration of independence now takes effect; British abandoned North America for fighting at that time; Mississippi River was recognized as western border of the United States; Congress would not precent the British merchants from collecting debts owed to them by Americans.
- c enlightened document made by enlightened thinkers; first draft was written by Richard Henry Lee; based on argument primarily on the contract theory of government developed by John Locke: power comes from the consent of the people; blames king george lll; americans no longer consider themselves english
- d american printer, author, philosopher, and scientist
- e most gunpowder in the first years of the war came from France; on Feb. 6, 1778 they signed to treaties: A treaty of Amity and Commerce (recognition as free from Britain) and a treaty of alliance.
5 Multiple Choice Questions
- second continental congress still hopes for compromise; king george lll declares them in rebellion and sends more troops; british troops pull out of boston and retreat to Nova Scotia; patriots were the "underdogs"; british faced not the suppression of a rebellion but the reconquest of a continent; they had more of a will to fight- british did it for a job; king thought there was no need to compromise and that they were going to win (confused on which side king george was on)
- petitioned the king for relief- (dominion theory) colonies were subject to crown but now Parliament (seperate realm). they liked the king better t han the parliament but disliked both. To seek peace.
- form of extra legal opposition, organized mobbing to intimidate stamp agents and encourage them to resign, and adoption of non-importation agreements of English goods. In charge of the boston tea party and were the colonists rebeling against British.
- (private homes in boston)
- decides that england has the right to regulate colonies but could not have taxes for revenues. Form of legal opposition.
5 True/False Questions
lexington and concord → this was the first fighting of the war, minute men in lexington formed a silent protest; the british advanced; a shot was fired; british shot and then changed with bayonets (8 dead, 10 wounded)
boston tea party → British soldiers were stealing jobs stationed after the proclomation of 1763. Soldiers had to compete with the lower class for jobs. Soldiers kill 5 colonists out of a protest mob and injure 8. Ironically townshend acts were repealed that day except tea (no telephones) two years of relative peace followed
objective of chapter → Horatio Gates and Benedict Arnold capture John Burgoyne and 9,500 British; Because of the battle the French noticed the Americans were willing to fight and decided to join with the Americans; if it wasn't for the French, the British may have won the war.
boston port act → closed to commerce until tea was paid
common sense → written by Thomas Paine; a phamplet that urged the colonists to fight for their independance