5 Written questions
5 Matching questions
- declaration of independence
- stamp act
- massachusetts governing act
- advantages of the colonies
- Peace of Paris 1783
- a tax on all printed documents (newspapers, deeds, licenses; college diplomas, even playing cards)
- b town meetings only 1 per year, mass.'s council and law enforcement officers were appointed rather then elected
- c Britain now recognized America as separate; their boundary is farther west; Declaration of independence now takes effect; British abandoned North America for fighting at that time; Mississippi River was recognized as western border of the United States; Congress would not precent the British merchants from collecting debts owed to them by Americans.
- d short supply lines (got supplies from other colonies; took less time than british) familiarity with area; george washington (smart man, had confidence in his troops) french helped them fight; willing to sustain war (fighting for their way of life; fighting for a cause rather than a pay check)
- e enlightened document made by enlightened thinkers; first draft was written by Richard Henry Lee; based on argument primarily on the contract theory of government developed by John Locke: power comes from the consent of the people; blames king george lll; americans no longer consider themselves english
5 Multiple choice questions
- British soldiers were stealing jobs stationed after the proclomation of 1763. Soldiers had to compete with the lower class for jobs. Soldiers kill 5 colonists out of a protest mob and injure 8. Ironically townshend acts were repealed that day except tea (no telephones) two years of relative peace followed
- decides that england has the right to regulate colonies but could not have taxes for revenues. Form of legal opposition.
- had the strongest navy in the world, had "manpower?" and had professional armies and mercenaries
- this was the first fighting of the war, minute men in lexington formed a silent protest; the british advanced; a shot was fired; british shot and then changed with bayonets (8 dead, 10 wounded)
- american printer, author, philosopher, and scientist
5 True/False questions
boston tea party → government was trying to purchase their loyalty and passivity with cheap tea. a group of colonial patriots disguised as mohawk native americans boarded 3 ships and threw 342 chests of east india tea overboard. most of these patriots were making a profit on smuggling tea.
common sense → written by Thomas Paine; a phamplet that urged the colonists to fight for their independance
one of the problems of the war → on christmas night 1776, Washington slipped across the Delaware River at Trenton (NJ) with 2,400 men and surprised the drunken Hessians, killing or capturing over a thousand of them with only six deaths.
alliance with france → required colonists to provide provisions and barracks or submit to the use of inns and vacant buildings for British soilders
townshend acts → eventually puts taxes on everything but tea- a token of parliamentry authority, taxes various colonial imports such as glass, paint lead, and paper