5 Written questions
5 Matching questions
- turning points
- declaration of independence
- first continental congress
- boston tea party
- declaratory act
- a government was trying to purchase their loyalty and passivity with cheap tea. a group of colonial patriots disguised as mohawk native americans boarded 3 ships and threw 342 chests of east india tea overboard. most of these patriots were making a profit on smuggling tea.
- b enlightened document made by enlightened thinkers; first draft was written by Richard Henry Lee; based on argument primarily on the contract theory of government developed by John Locke: power comes from the consent of the people; blames king george lll; americans no longer consider themselves english
- c petitioned the king for relief- (dominion theory) colonies were subject to crown but now Parliament (seperate realm). they liked the king better t han the parliament but disliked both. To seek peace.
- d the american revolution became a global war; britain was fighting with America, France, Spain, and the Dutch. They were also fighting in India, the West Indies, and Florida; the British realized their empire was at stake.
- e stops stamp act based on opposition and protesting, reduced tax on sugar, and reserved the right of Parliament to make laws binding on the colonies
5 Multiple choice questions
- British soldiers were stealing jobs stationed after the proclomation of 1763. Soldiers had to compete with the lower class for jobs. Soldiers kill 5 colonists out of a protest mob and injure 8. Ironically townshend acts were repealed that day except tea (no telephones) two years of relative peace followed
- (private homes in boston)
- form of extra legal opposition, organized mobbing to intimidate stamp agents and encourage them to resign, and adoption of non-importation agreements of English goods. In charge of the boston tea party and were the colonists rebeling against British.
- decides that england has the right to regulate colonies but could not have taxes for revenues. Form of legal opposition.
- most gunpowder in the first years of the war came from France; on Feb. 6, 1778 they signed to treaties: A treaty of Amity and Commerce (recognition as free from Britain) and a treaty of alliance.
5 True/False questions
results of bunker hill → english generals became more cautious, able-bodied men were ordered to enlist, everyone was either a patriot or loyalist- there was no in-between
currency act → colonies could no longer issue their own paper currency; whatever was in circulation was worthless
justice act → tax on all printed documents (newspapers, deeds, licenses; college diplomas, even playing cards)
turning point of the war → the american revolution became a global war; britain was fighting with America, France, Spain, and the Dutch. They were also fighting in India, the West Indies, and Florida; the British realized their empire was at stake.
Peace of Paris 1783 → Britain now recognized America as separate; their boundary is farther west; Declaration of independence now takes effect; British abandoned North America for fighting at that time; Mississippi River was recognized as western border of the United States; Congress would not precent the British merchants from collecting debts owed to them by Americans.