5 Written Questions
5 Matching Questions
- a ADJ. /谨慎的/cautious; careful. A miser hoards money not because he is prudent but because he is greedy. prudence, N.
- b N. /假名；笔名/pen name. Samuel Clemens' pseudonym was Mark Twain.
- c V. /折叠；褶皱；钱包；手提包（女式）/pucker; contract into wrinkles. Miss Watson pursed her lips to show her disapproval of Huck's bedrag¬gled appearance.
- d ADJ. /好色的；渴望的/having or causing lustful thoughts and desires. Aroused by his prurient impulses, the dirty old man leered at the sweet young thing and offered to give her a sample of his "prowess."
- e ADJ. /省级的；视野不宽的；简单的/pertaining to a province; limited in outlook; unsophisticated. As provincial governor, Sir Henry adminis¬tered the Queen's law in his remote corner of Canada. Caught up in local problems, out of touch with London news, he became sadly provincial.
5 Multiple Choice Questions
- V. /提出/put forth for analysis. In your discussion, you have propounded several questions; let us consider each one separately.
- N. /骗子；吹嘘的人/charlatan; impostor. Do not be misled by the exorbitant claims of this quack; he cannot cure you.
- N. /四足动物/four-footed animal. Most mammals are quadrupeds.
- N. /担心，害怕；担惊受怕；愧对良心/misgivings; uneasy fears, especially about mat¬ters of conscience. I have no qualms about giving this assignment to Helen; I know she will handle it admirably.
- ADJ. /刺激的；辛辣的；尖锐的/stinging; sharp in taste or smell; caustic. The pungent odor of ripe Limburger cheese appealed to Simone but made Stanley gag.
5 True/False Questions
prototype → V. /激怒；惹；煽动；挑起/stir to anger; cause retaliation. In order to pre¬vent a sudden outbreak of hostilities, we must not provoke our foe. provocation, N; provocative,ADJ.
puny → ADJ. /不显著的；不明显的；细微的/insignificant; tiny; weak. Our puny efforts to stop the flood were futile.
pusillanimous → ADJ. /懦弱的；优柔寡断的/cowardly; fainthearted. You should be ashamed of your pusillanimous conduct during this dispute.
prune → V. /切掉；修剪/cut away; trim. With the help of her editor, she was able to prune her overlong manuscript into publishable form.
provisional → ADJ. /临时的/tentative. Kim's acceptance as an Ameri¬can Express card holder was provisional: before issuing her a card, American Express wanted to check her employment record and credit history.