adv. (of look or glance): 1. with suspicion, disapproval, disdain. 2. sideways
1. to make thin or slender. 2. to make thin in consistency, to rarefy. 3. to weaken or reduce in force, effect, or amount; to weaken in value or estimation.
1. to assert as a fact; to affirm with confidence. 2. in law to prove or justify a plea.
1. to turn over in the mind; to weigh and consider. 2. to plan; to devise.
deserving blame or censure.
1. a scarcity that makes something more valuable. 2a. an inadequate supply; lack; paucity. 2b. a want or lack of a quality.
1. the state of being completely perplexed, embarrassed, or disconcerted. 2. defeat or overthrow of plans or hopes.
1. recurring every day. 2. of, relating to, or occuring in the daytime; active in the daytime.
having a humorous, whimsical, or odd quality; waggish.
ambitious or eager to equal or imitate or surpass.
1. a saying or picture containing a hidden meaning; riddle. 2. a person of puzzling or contradictory character. 3. a puzzling or inexplicable occurrence.
contrary to established doctrines or beliefs generally accepted as true.
1. characteristic of one of eminent rank 2. domineering in a haughty manner; dictatorial; overbearing. 3. intensely compelling or urgent.
a curse. verb form= to invoke evil or vengeance upon another.
1. firmly established by long persistence. 2. settled or confirmed in a habit; habitual.
very liberal in giving or bestowing; lavish.
a model of perfection; a person or thing of supreme excellence.
1. a fit, attack, or sudden increase of symptoms. 2. a sudden violent emotion or action.
1. admitting no contradition; conclusive; decisive; incontrovertible. 2. intolerant of refusal or opposition; insisting on compliance or obediance; characterized by arrogant assurance. 3. expressing urgency.
clearness of understanding or insight.
1. adhering resolutely, usually perversely, to an opinion, purpose, or design. 2. stubbornly unyielding or tenacious.
1. the art of determining character from the form or features of the body, esp. of the face. 2. the facial features which are an index to the character. 3. the outward appearance of anything, taken as offering some insight into its character.
to rule out in advance; to prevent the existence or occurrence of; to make impossible by previous action.
a feeling that something will or is about to happen, and a feeling that rests on no definite reason but seems like a direct perception of something about to happen, especially something evil; a foreboding.
to gain or regain the favor of; to make (someone) favorably inclined; to appease, to conciliate.
motionless; inactive; at rest.
to withdraw or retract (something) as erroneous.
1. to bring a countercharge against an accuser. 2. to retort bitterly.
favorable or conducive to health.
affecting piousness; hypocritically devout, pious, or righteous.
1. given to the utterance of terse maxims or aphorisms; given to pompous moralizing. 2. characterized by a style of expression which offers sentences more separate in meaning than connected; terse or aphoristic in expression.
having or expressing little or no sensibility; habitually uninterested or unresponsive; impassive.
a capricious, eccentric action or piece of conduct; an unpredictable or extravagant notion.
lacking liveliness, flavor, tang, briskness; insipid; flat.
1. extreme bitterness, spite, or acrimony of temper or speech violent malignity or rancor. 2. extreme poisonousness or venomousness.