What is a government in which citizens' rule through elected representatives is know as . . . ?
What are 3 economic weaknesses of the Articles of Confederation?
1. Unable to collect taxes
2. Unable to collect state debt owed to the federal government
3. 14 types of currency within the United States
List one reason why it will be problem in keeping our nation secure (safe) under the Articles of Confederation?
Unable to draft an army
What are noneconomic and nonsecurity weaknesses of the Articles of Confederation?
1. Unable to settle disputes between states
2. No leader to enforce laws
3. Takes all 13 states to make an amendment
4. Cannot control trade between the states
5. Hard to pass federal laws - need 9 out of 13 states
6. No court system
What was needed to for a parcel of land to become a state in the Northwest Territory?
60,000 people settled in a specific area - could apply for statehood
Which had the most power under the Articles of Confederation - the federal or state governments?
The state governments
Which states that will make up the Northwest Territory.
According to the Northwest Ordinance, how was the land organized in the Northwest Territory?
Into townships measure in 6X6 mile townships.
Each township was divided into 36 sections
Each section of land contained 640 acres