1. conversion of atmospheric nitrogen into ammonia, performed by bacteria in the roots of legumes or lightning. N2 --> NH3
2. conversion of ammonia to nitrite to nitrate performed by bacteria. NH3 --> NO2 --> NO3-
3. inorganic nitrogen is uptaken by the roots of plants and becomes part of the food chain. NO3- --> organic nitrogen (proteins and nucleic acids)
4. conversion of organic nitrogen into ammonia. Performed by decomposers (bacteria, fungus) to return nitrogen to the soil. Organic nitrogen --> NH3
5. nitrates are returned to the atmosphere by anaerobic bacteria. NO3- --> N2
Please allow access to your computer’s microphone to use Voice Recording.
We can’t access your microphone!
Click the icon above to update your browser permissions above and try again
Reload the page to try again!
Press Cmd-0 to reset your zoom
Press Ctrl-0 to reset your zoom
It looks like your browser might be zoomed in or out. Your browser needs to be zoomed to a normal size to record audio.
Your microphone is muted
For help fixing this issue, see this FAQ.
NEW! Voice Recording
Click the mic to start.