5 Written questions
5 Matching questions
- clambering (353)
- menials (329)
- recoil (346)
- forthright (327)
- a to climb or move in an awkward or difficult manner The way he clambered into the dining room cause all of the guests to stop and stare.
- b Low-level workers. Prisoners often play the role of society's menials, assigned to trash pick up on the side of the highway. OR menial Lowly and sometimes degrading: That work was very tedious and menial.
- c straightforward, to the point, and honest I admire forthright people,
- d to fall back, return. Although many people try to put unsolved problems behind them, most of these recoil back to the "sender" in one way or another.
- e showing or having an insensitive and cruel disregard for others.
5 Multiple choice questions
- a risky or daring journey or undertaking. The pioneers set out on a venture for discovery, but they didn't realize that many dangers were on their way
- a brief, strong rush of wind. A burst of something such as rain, sound, or emotion : gusts of rain lashed down the narrow alleys.
- mass of a tightly packed crowd of people : Harry squeezed through the ruck to order another soda.
- to tie up (somebody, something) with their legs and arms behind their back. The chef trussed the chicken before cooking it.
- Make an abrupt, unsteady, uncontrolled movement or series of movements; stagger: "the car lurched forward".
5 True/False questions
pall (347) → Anything that covers, shrouds, or overspreads, especially with darkness or gloom. The celebratory evening was ruined when the pall of the news of the airplane crash filtered through the room.
hyacinth (460) → quick and active; lively: brisk trading; a brisk walk.
deferred (459) → to postpone or delay or to put off. The student deferred drafting her paper until she had more than enough evidence to support her working thesis.
fumigate (454) → prepare and use (land) for crops or gardening.
Uncallused (429) → soft, not having tough, strong skin that has been formed over time with work; The prince's hands were uncallused and tender from living a pampered lifestyle and never doing any manual work.