5 Written Questions
5 Matching Questions
- burnished (274)
- ajar (444)
- swilled (342)
- cinched (303)
- consummated (257)
- a the shine on a highly polished surface. The burnished silver platter on the table caught the sun and seemed a star upon the surface.
- b to make perfect
- c secured, settled, sealed in
- d cause liquid to swirl around in a container or cavity. He swilled the beer in it's mug.
- e partially open. It annoys me when my sister enters my room and exits, leaving the door ajar.
5 Multiple Choice Questions
- make fast (a vessel) to the shore or to an anchor : twenty or so fishing boats weremoored to the pier.
- a precision tool with a mechanically rotated abrasive tip, for enlarging holes to precise dimensions.
- Make an abrupt, unsteady, uncontrolled movement or series of movements; stagger: "the car lurched forward".
- avoid or neglect (a duty or responsibility). The employee shirked from her duties.
- shameless or impudent. The boy was foolish in his brazen presumption
5 True/False Questions
imperious (326) → urgent; imperative: imperious need. Or, My older sister always uses an imperious tone with me, thinking she's the boss of all of us just because she's older.
groping (440) → quick and active; lively: brisk trading; a brisk walk.
turmoil (458) → a corner, as in a room. The teacher told the students to relax in the book nook when they were finished with their tests.
canny (331) → having or showing shrewdness and good judgment in money or business matters: the canny shoppers came to the store early for a bargain.
to wing (456) → send or convey (something) quickly, as if by air : just jot down the title on a postcard and wing it to us.