5 Written Questions
5 Matching Questions
- "Levee en masse"
- Law of Suspects
- Thermidorian Reaction
- Parlement of Paris
- Declaration of Pillnitz
- a alleged enemies of the revolution were brought before revolutionary tribunals that were created to hearr cases of treason
- b name given to the reaction against the radicalism of the French Revolution. It is associated with the end of the Reign of Terror and reassertion of bourgeoisie power in the Directory.
- c the entire nation conscripted into service as war was defined as a national mission; army grew to 1 million
- d issued by Prussia and Austria to restore order to the French governemnt through the military; not followed through
- e ruled that voting in the Estates General would follow the tradition of each Estate voting separately
5 Multiple Choice Questions
- the nobility that made up 2-4% of the population and owned 25% of the land
- French priests who refuded to accept the constitution of the clergy
- radical working class leaders of Paris
- each estate was instructed to compile a list of suggestions and grievances and present them to the king
- responded to Burke's arguement by defending Enlightenment principles; wrote "Rights of Man"
5 True/False Questions
Storming of the Bastile → the king's palace was stormed and the king was taken prisoner after fleeing to the Legislative Assembly
Jacobins → a group of Jacobins that became the left or advanced party of the revolution and led the country into waar; waanted republic through law
Lettre de cachet → governement could imprison anyone without charges or trial
Conspiracy of Equals → led by "Gracchus" Babeuf formed to overthrow the Directory and replace it with a dictatorial "democratic" govt which woulld aboolish private propertyy and enforce equality
Bourgeoisie → demanded that political and social power be congruent with their emerging economic power; middle class