Questions such as 'how are you?', which allow the respondent to expand and go into more depth in the answer.
Questions such as 'are you ok?', which only allow the respondent to give a one word, usually yes/no answer.
Strengths of questionnaires
-bigger sample of people
- confidential- may give you more honest answers
Weaknesses of questionnaires
- can't see emotion through idiolect & body language
- people might lie for social desirability etc.
- might get the 'screw you' effect
- misleading info, not everyone will return it
Read out a questionnaire, following the same questions each time to compare the results
Some structure, but not sticking to the exact same questions
You know what you're going to talk about, but not sure how the conversation will go
Advantages of interviews
- Non verbal communication, more info on how they were feeling
- Better for sensitive topics
Disadvantages of interviews
-Can take a long time and difficult to analyse
-Demand characteristics, less able to be honest
-Bias in the way that people ask questions differently etc.