5 Written questions
5 Matching questions
- What irreversible reaction drives the synthesis of UDP-glucose?
- What enzyme catalyzes the transfer of glucose from UDP-glucose to a growing chain?
- What converts Glucose 6 phosphate into glucose in liver?
- What are the properties of the presumptive branch point?
- What are the properties of Glycogen synthase?
- a Glycogen synthase catalyzes transfer of glucose from UDP-glucose to a growing chain
- b Glucose 6 phosphatase converts Glucose 6 phosphate into glucose for export out of the liver and transport to other tissues
- c A glycosyl unit from UDP glucose is transferred to the hydroxyl group at the C4 of the terminal glucose residue forming a alpha 1,4 glycosidic bond. Requires a glycogen molecule that is a minimum of 4 residues to which a glycosyl will be added
- d Must be at least 4 residues away from other branches. Links are alpha 1,6 glycosidic bond
- e PPi+ H2O=> 2Pi
5 Multiple choice questions
- The 4th glucose residue from the branch glucose
- Increases the number of terminal glucose residues which are site of action for glycogen phosphorylase and synthase. Branching increases rate of glycogen synthesis and degradation
- Alpha 1,6 glucosiase hydrolyzes the alpha 1,6 glucosidic bond to release a free glucose molecule
- Phosphoglucomutase is a phospho enzyme and converts Glucose 1 phosphate to glucose 6 phosphate for further metabolism
- Glycogen phosphorylase, Transferase, alpha 1,6 glucosidase, phosphoglucomutase
5 True/False questions
What is Uridine Diphosphate? → Uridine diphosphate is a nucleotide composed of uracil, ribose and pyrophosphate
What is the overall reaction of glycogen phosphorylase activity? → Glycogen (n residues) + Pi=> glucose-1-phosphate + Glycogen (n-1 residues)
How is UDP-glucose formed? → UDP-glucose is synthesized from Uridine triphosphate and glucose-1-phosphate via the enzyme UDP-glucose pyrophosphorylase
What does transferase do? → When glucose residues are removed to the "limit dextran" which is the 4th glucose residue from the branch glucose
What is the overall reaction of UDP glucose formation? → Glucose-1-phosphate +UTP =>UDP-glucose + PPi