5 Written Questions
5 Matching Questions
- What is the overall reaction of glycogen phosphorylase activity?
- What are the properties of the presumptive branch point?
- What is Uridine Diphosphate?
- What is glycogen?
- What is phosphoglucomutase?
- a Glycogen (n residues) + Pi=> glucose-1-phosphate + Glycogen (n-1 residues)
- b A very large, branched polymer of glucose residues. Most of the glucose residues are linked by alpha 1,4 glycosidic bonds. branches about every 10th residue are linked by alpha 1,6 glycosidic bonds
- c Must be at least 4 residues away from other branches. Links are alpha 1,6 glycosidic bond
- d Phosphoglucomutase is a phospho enzyme and converts Glucose 1 phosphate to glucose 6 phosphate for further metabolism
- e Uridine diphosphate is a nucleotide composed of uracil, ribose and pyrophosphate
5 Multiple Choice Questions
- Alpha 1,6 glucosiase hydrolyzes the alpha 1,6 glucosidic bond to release a free glucose molecule
- When glucose residues are removed to the "limit dextran" which is the 4th glucose residue from the branch glucose
- UDP-glucose is synthesized from Uridine triphosphate and glucose-1-phosphate via the enzyme UDP-glucose pyrophosphorylase
- Glycogen synthesis involves transfer of glucose from UDP-glucose to a growing chain
- The 4th glucose residue from the branch glucose
5 True/False Questions
What enzyme catalyzes the transfer of glucose from UDP-glucose to a growing chain? → Glucose-1-phosphate +UTP =>UDP-glucose + PPi
What is the overall reaction of UDP glucose formation? → Glucose-1-phosphate +UTP =>UDP-glucose + PPi
What does transferase do? → Glycogenin is both an enzyme and its substrate consisting of two 37 kD subunits. Each subunit catalyzes addition of a glycosyl unit from UDP glucose to Tyr 194 of other subunit. Subsequently, 7 more glycosyl units are added so that 8 glycosyl units are attached to Tyr 194 for each subunit
What irreversible reaction drives the synthesis of UDP-glucose? → Glucose-1-phosphate +UTP =>UDP-glucose + PPi
What are the properties of branching? → Utilizes a non branched string of at least 11 glycosyl residues long. Branching enzyme transfers a string of typically 7 residues from non reducing end to presumptive branch point.