What are the 4 functions of the Skeletal System?
1. Protect Vital Organs
2. Help to form Blood Cells
3. Store Minerals
4. Works with the Muscular System to make movement
How many bones make up the Skeletal System?
The Human Skeleton is divided into __ parts.
How many types of bones do we have?
4 - Long bones, Short bones, Flat bones and Irregular bones
What are the 2 forms of bones? How are they different?
Compact and Spongy bone - They are different in that Compact bone is dense and hard; and Spongy bone is inside compact bone and is very porous.
What is a Joint?
A joint is a place where two bones come together.
Name and Describe the three types of joints
- Slightly Movable : connected by cartilage
- Freely movable : bone that you can move easily
- Immovable : bones that are in very close contact
- Ball in Socket : the ball shaped end fits into the cup shaped end
- Hinge : a joint that allows flexibility
- Gliding : flat or slightly flat surfaces that move against each other allowing sliding motions
- Pivot : grounded surfaces of bone that fit into a ring
name and descibe the types of freely movable joints
What are ribs?
Ribs are thin, flat, curved bones that form a cage around the organ of the upper body.
Name and Describe the 3 types of Ribs.
-True ribs : the first 7 bones
- False ribs : these 3 pairs of bone are slightly shorter than the true ribs
- Floating ribs : the last 2 set of rib bones
What is a cell?
a small unit that can form all life processes
Name the 4 systems
What is a tissue?
a group of cells that work together
What is a organ?
a group of tissues working together
what are the uses of the 4 systems?
Nervous System : receives and sends electrical messages.
Digestive System : break down food
Respiratory System : absorbs oxygen and releases carbon dioxide
Skeletal System : a frame to support and protect you body parts