5 Written questions
5 Matching questions
- which of the following types of water CANNOT be used for making injections?
a) sterile water for inhalation
b) bacteristatic water USP
c) water for injection USP
d) sterile water for irrigation USP
- what is Pluronic Lecithin Organogel (PLO) and why is it important?
- what is the ratio for dry gum and wet gum?
- what is the difference between wet gum and dry gum method of making emulsions?
- what is the bottle method of emulsification and what is it's ratio?
- a Its a variation of dry gum: oil:water:acacia
3;2;1 or 2:1;1
- b wet gum= adding water to acacia
dry gum = adding oil to acacia
- c ...dunno
- d Ans: A and C
Note that only water for injection and bacteristatic water may be used
- e PLO gel is compatible with diverse range of therapeutic agents, including lipophilic and hydrophilic drugs. Most drugs can be incorporated without stability issue.
5 Multiple choice questions
- Opposite of osmosis using high pressure to move from region of high solvent concentration to region of low solvent concentration.
- Tincture is an alcoholic or hydroalcoholic solution of chemicals or soluble constituents of vegetable drugs.
Tinctures must be keep away from light and heat
- equal amounts of oil, water, acacia
- Ans: the difference is the dispersed phase/continuous phase
dispersed phase comes first
Water-oil: dispersed phase is water.
Oil-water: dispersed phase is oil
5 True/False questions
which type of water is best for preparing parenteral solutions? → water for injection USP
Define: humectant and give 2 examples. → Adding an insoluble substance to a powder while its wet is called levigation
why is using distilled water to prepare injections WRONG and DANGEROUS? → It contains pyrogens which are microbial compounds increase body temperature.
Which type of product is likely to contain Polyols → Poly Ethylene Glycol (PEG)
Describe the anti-microbial properties of syrups. → Opposite of osmosis using high pressure to move from region of high solvent concentration to region of low solvent concentration.