5 Written Questions
5 Matching Questions
- Lanolin is a (w/o or o/w) emulsion with ____% water.
- what is the difference between wet gum and dry gum method of making emulsions?
- Define: Polyols
Which type of product is likely to contain Polyols
- why is using distilled water to prepare injections WRONG and DANGEROUS?
- Water soluble bases are made from this important compound:
- a Poly Ethylene Glycol (PEG)
- b wet gum= adding water to acacia
dry gum = adding oil to acacia
- c It contains pyrogens which are microbial compounds increase body temperature.
- d water-oil emulsion with 25% water
- e multiple OH groups in alcohols
sorbitol and glycerin
5 Multiple Choice Questions
- It prevents surface evaporation
- Its a variation of dry gum: oil:water:acacia
3;2;1 or 2:1;1
- water:oil:emulsifying agent (eg. acacia)
- A concentrated alcohol solution of a vegetable drug of such strength that 1mL= one gram of the dry form of the drug
- they reduce the surface tension between the wate and oil and allow the two to mix.
5 True/False Questions
which of the following types of water CANNOT be used for making injections?
a) sterile water for inhalation
b) bacteristatic water USP
c) water for injection USP
d) sterile water for irrigation USP → Ans: A do not use purified water for opthalmic solutions
what is the nacent method? → equal amounts of oil, water, acacia
what is the ratio for dry gum and wet gum? → equal amounts of oil, water, acacia
what is Pluronic Lecithin Organogel (PLO) and why is it important? → PLO gel is compatible with diverse range of therapeutic agents, including lipophilic and hydrophilic drugs. Most drugs can be incorporated without stability issue.
What is a tincture? → A concentrated alcohol solution of a vegetable drug of such strength that 1mL= one gram of the dry form of the drug