5 Written questions
5 Matching questions
- Pope Leo X
- Frederick the Wise
- Nicolaus Copernicus
- a Polish Astronomer. Theorized that the Sun and not the earth is at the middle of the solar system and that the earth was one of many planets that revolve around the sun.
- b One of the most powerful early defenders of Martin Luther, Lutheranism, and the Protestant Reformation.
- c Pope who order the sale of indulgences to fund the renovation of St. Peter's Basilica.
- d Certificate sold as forgiveness from sin.
- e First Italian Renaissance artist to make use of shading to give his subjects depth and realism.
5 Multiple choice questions
- French humanist whose theological writings profoundly influenced religious thoughts of Europeans. Developed Calvinism at Geneva. Wrote Institutes of Christian Religion
- Italian sculptor, painter, architect. Famous for his statue David and painting the ceiling of the Sistine Chapel.
- Italian astronomer. Developed the Telescope.
- Monk who was commissioned by Pope Leo X to raise money for the Church and was sent throughout northern Germany to sell indulgences.
- English Play write. Father of Modern Drama and Theater.
5 True/False questions
Rene Descartes → I think. Therefore I am.
Diet of Worms → Trial at which Martin Luther is excommunicated after he refuses to recant his 95 Theses.
Catherine of Aragon → 1st wife of Henry VIII. Mother of Mary I. Henry's desire for a divorce from her precipitated England's break with Rome.
Isaac Newton → 2nd wife of King Henry VIII.
Johannes Gutenburg → German Astronomer. Built on the earlier work of Copernicus and Galileo. First to explain planetary motion and how tides were affected by the moon.