What is advertising?
Any paid form of non-personal presentation and promotion of ideas, goods, or services by an identified sponsor.
What are the 5 major advertising decisions?
What is an advertising objective?
A specific communication task to be accomplished with a specific target audience during a specific period of time.
What is an advertising budget?
The dollars and other resources allocated to a product or company advertising program.
What is an advertising strategy?
The strategy by which the company accomplishes its advertising objectives. It consists of two major elements: creating advertising messages and selecting advertising media.
What is an advertising message strategy?
What message do we want to convey to consumers?
How do we get consumers to react and think about the product/company in a certain way?
Next - you must develop a creative concept that will bring the message to life in a distinctive and memorable way
What are different message execution styles? (9)
1)Slice of life (typical ppl using the product)
2)Lifestyle (product fits with a specific lifestyle)
3)Fantasy (creates a fantasy around the product or its use)
4)Mood or image (style builds on a mood or image around the product or service like love, beauty, serenity)
6)Personality: creates a character that represents the product like Mr. Clean or the Energizer bunny
7)Technical expertise: Showing the company's expertise in creating the product
8)Scientific evidence: Presents evidence that the brand is better.
9)Testimonial evidence: Features a highly believable source endorsing the product. i.e. celebrity.
What is advertising media?
The vehicles through which advertising messages are delivered to their intended audiences.
What are the 4 major steps in advertising media?
1) deciding on reach, frequency and impact
2) choosing among major media types
3) selecting specific media vehicles
4) deciding on media timing
What is "Public Relations?"
Building good relations with the company's various publics by obtaining favorable publicity, building up a good corporate image, and handling or heading off unfavorable rumors, stories, and events.
What are the 6 major functions of Public Relations?
1) Press relations or press agency: Creating and placing newsworthy information in the news media
2) Product publicity: Publicizing specific products
3) Public affairs: Building and maintaining national or local relations
4) Lobbying: Building and maintaining relations with legislators and government officials to influence legislation and regulations.
5) Investor relations: Maintaining relationships with shareholders and others in the financial community
6) Development: Public relations with donors or members of not-for-profit organizations to gain financial or volunteer support.
What are some of the major public relations tools? (8)
-Public service activities