1. the point in its orbit when a planet or satellite (usually the moon) is farthest from the earth 2. the highest point; culmination; apex
1. referring to the center of the earth in measurement or observation 2. considering to earth as the center of a planetary system
the point in its orbit when a planet or a satellite (usually the moon) is nearest the earth
to bury; to place in a grave
ceramic clay used in pottery, statuary, and construction
1. pertaining to the earth and its inhabitants 2. referring to land as distinct from water or air
1. to dig out of the ground or from a grave; to disinter 2. to bring to light; to uncover
rich, dark organic material formed bu decay of vegetable matter, essential to soil's fertility
a swindler; a charlatan; a trickster
of chief importance; primary; foremost
a high ridge of land jutting into a body of water; a headland
1. pertaining to a Christian minister or the duties accompanying the office 2. referring to life in open country or to fields for farming or grazing 3. pertaining to an idealized rural life
a meal; food served at a meal
1. typical of country life and people; simple; rough 2. a rural person
1. to go to the country 2. to cause to become rustic
1. a powerful feeling of hostility or antagonism; hatred 2. an animating spirit
composure and calm in stressful conditions; equilibrium
1. the regions of space beyond the earth's atmosphere; the heavens 2. a highly flammable liquid anesthetic
1. spiritlike in lightness and delicacy 2. heavenly; celestial
allowing light to show through; translucent; delicate
1. a revelatory manifestation of a divine being 2. a revelation; a flash of understanding of the true nature of something 3. a Christian festival, January 6, celebrating the visit of the Wise Men to the Christ Child
a phantom; an apparition; something unreal, as in a dream or a vision
a flatterer seeking favors or gain; a servile self-seeker
1. strong desire for achievement; ambition toward a long-range goal 2. expulsion of breath in speaking
dejected; discouraged; gloomy
an exaggeration; a figure expressing excess
1. far north; Arctic 2. very cold; frigid
the condition of taking abnormally fast, deep breaths
1. an outlet; an opening for passage of liquids, fumes, or sometimes air 2. to utter; to express, especially in relieving strong feelings
The flowing together of two or more elements: streams or rivers, or ideas, influences, or cultures.
A stream or overflow from a larger body of water, or from a channel or sewer.
1. A flow 2. A continuous succession of changes.
To remove water or moisture.
The study of water and its effects on and in the earth and in the atmosphere.
1. A dark, hook-billed sea bird. 2. A greedy person.
A liquid often seasoned with spices or herbs to flavor meat or fish for a period of time before cooking.
1. To cause queasiness; to cause to feel sick.
2. To cause the feeling of repulsion or disgust.
The long central part of a church, extending from the entrance to the altar, with aisles along the sides.
A pope or bishop.
1. To speak with pompous authority.
2. The office of a pontiff; papacy.
To have or to cause to have a wavy motion.
To reflect or come back either favorably or unfavorably.
1. Superfluous; exceeding what is needed, or what is needed no longer.
2. Verbose; needlessly repetitious.
1. To submerge or overflow with water; to flood.
2. To overwhelm.
full of intense passion or zeal
bubbling up from a liquid; very excited; bubbling over with high spirits
a large and destructive fire
shockingly evident; outrageously conspicuous
arousing strong emotion, especially anger or hostility; pertaining to redness, swelling, or pain following an infection or injury
colored or decorated in a showy way, having a showy appearance or manner
designed or intended to cause a fire; tending to stir up strife; inflammatory; a person who maliciously burns his or her own or another's property for monetary advantage
to infuriate; to enrage
able to burn or eat away by chemical reaction; sarcastic; marked by a biting wit
to burn with a hot iron or a chemical to destroy abnormal tissue and/or to stop infection and/or bleeding
a pile of wood, etc., for burning a corpse as part of a funeral rite; any pile of combustible materials
a display of fireworks; a spectacular display of virtuosity in music, writing, wit, or other accomplishment
a compulsion to set things on fire
a very small amount; a bit; an iota
to give off sparks; to flash; to sparkle
not submissive to authority
excessive, immoderate, not controlled
to confirm priestly authority upon; to order by superior authority
a command or order; a law or regulation especially by a city government; a custom or practice established by tradition especially a religious rite
a leader or teacher of a (new) faith or movement
showing or appearing to feel mo emotion; apathetic
pertaining to letter writing or contained letters
to set right, to correct
moral uprightness; correctness of behavior
a group of fixed stars; a brilliant gathering; a set of related objects or individuals
pertaining to stars
a star shaped figure to indicate an omission or a footnote
of or from the stars
the study of the whole universe: origin, evolution, and relationship of its parts
a person at ease in any part of the world and/or knowledgeable in many subjects
never changing or varying; unchangeable
an alteration; a rearrangement of elements especially in mathematics
to transform; to change from one form of nature into another
foolish boldness; recklessness; rashness
daring; rash; reckless
unexcitable; unflustered; calm
muddy; not clear; opaque; confused; disordered
to agitate; to upset
a remark that disparages, maligns, or slanders another
to spread widely; to disseminate
moderation in expressing feelings, in appetite and in consumption of alcoholic drink; self restraint; total abstinence from alcoholic beverages; teetotalism
deviating from the usual or proper; eccentric; outlandish
next to last
a final, uncompromising condition or demand, especially one whose rejection will close negotiations