5 Written questions
5 Matching questions
- Developments in marketing
- What is Reggae?
- The 70s was known as the "______ decade" because..
- Michael Jackson's legacy
- Misogyny in Hip Hop
- a broke down racial barriers (beat it & billie jean), great dancer/choreographer, record sales, helped lead charity rock movement
- b mix of Caribbean folk and R&B; first rock style to originate in third world; born in Kingston Jamaica
- c radio stations devoted to classic rock & addressed to boomers
- d why do so many female fans listen to music that degrades women?
- e "Me Decade" - America prospering under Nixon after Vietnam - sexual experimentation and the pursuit of pleasure
5 Multiple choice questions
- economic hard times attempted to be solved with New Right conservatism; punk was British lashing out with anger against govt
- back to basics rock; two minute high-energy guitar attacks; influential in England
- faster, angrier; began in LA; bands promoted themselves
- blend of punk/metal/pop; "warmed over black sabbath"; a look/reaction against hair bands
- expanded rap's language; white rap stylings
5 True/False questions
Hip hop technology → turntables, drum machines; sampling --> sound taken from a recorded medium and used on another medium
Prince → blend of punk/metal/pop; "warmed over black sabbath"; a look/reaction against hair bands
90s: new generation → high unemployment/low income; divorce, child abuse on rise; violence part of lives and culture
Seattle → Rastafarianism and Rude Boy street politics; 'reggae' derived from 'raggay' meaning 'raggedy, everyday stuff'; emphasis on offbeat; political music attacking racism & capitalism
Reggae international → white acts in Britain (the Clash, Police)