5 Written Questions
5 Matching Questions
- 90s: new generation
- New Wave artists
- Dead Kennedys
- Early Disco
- a Devo, Elvis Costello, The Pretenders, The Cars, Billy Idol
- b high unemployment/low income; divorce, child abuse on rise; violence part of lives and culture
- c Kurt Kobain: influences from Beatles, Zeppelin; all can be heard in their sound
- d created own record label and overly political
- e iconed by "The Hustle" - Van McCoy and The Soul City Orchestra; "Never Can Say Goodbye" - the first disco hit
5 Multiple Choice Questions
- polyphonic synthesizer
- three #1 singles in '75; "Get Down Tonight" "That's the Way I Like It" "Shake Your Booty"
- MTV concentrated on appealing British Bands --> music with synthesizes and a disco peat (electro-pop)
- reached big markets because the message was pop instead of politics; song was driven and had great hooks
- rebirth of independent lyrics; empowered women in rock; in its decline, punk became a form of merchandise
5 True/False Questions
David Bowie → led New Wave towards pop mainstream; experimented and incorporated many styles; Deborah Harry; 'Parallel Lines' was breakthrough album
The 70s was known as the "______ decade" because.. → "Do it yourself", "Refuse to conform"
The Synthesizer → back to basics rock; two minute high-energy guitar attacks; influential in England
1970s continuation of Heavy metal → economic hardship for blacks in 80s/90s; drugs gangs guns; arose from desperation and creating a sense of community
Misogyny in Hip Hop → why do so many female fans listen to music that degrades women?