1. Beriberi results from a deficiency of
c. vitamin C.
d. vitamin B12.
2. Which of the following provides the most thiamin per serving size?
c. Whole milk
d. Whole-grain breads
3. Riboflavin needs are more difficult to meet when the diet is low in
d. dairy foods.
4. A deficiency of what vitamin produces a characteristic cracking and redness at the corners of the mouth?
d. Ascorbic acid
5. What vitamin deficiency disease appeared in people who had subsisted on a diet high in corn and low in protein?
c. Wet beriberi
d. Pernicious anemia
6. Among the following, which would be the best source of niacin equivalents?
7. On a per-kcalorie basis, which of the following foods is richest in vitamin B6?
8. Research has shown that the risk for neural tube defects is lowered by taking supplements of
c. vitamin C.
d. vitamin B12.
9. Which of the following is associated with a deficiency of folate?
c. Hemolytic anemia
d. Macrocytic anemia
10. What is the adult RDA for folate (µg)?
11. Which of the following foods is highest in folate?
c. Dairy products
d. Green, leafy vegetables
12. Pernicious anemia results from a deficiency of
c. vitamin B12.
d. iron and copper.
13. Which of the following is a common treatment for pernicious anemia caused by inadequate absorption?
a. Injection of cobalamin
b. Topical administration of liver extract
c. Oral supplements of B-vitamin complex
d. A diet high in liver and green, leafy vegetables
14. Why are vegetarians at risk of developing a vitamin B12 deficiency?
a. Vegetarian diets inhibit absorption of the vitamin
b. Vegetarian diets provide insufficient amounts of the vitamin
c. The fiber content of vegetarian diets causes decreased storage by the liver
d. The fiber content of vegetarian diets causes increased excretion of the vitamin
15. Of the following foods, which would be the only source of vitamin B12?
b. Hot dog
d. Whole-grain bread
16. Which of the following is frequently affected by deficiencies of the B vitamins?
d. Hair and nails
17. Which of the following is a general function of vitamin C?
a. Antiviral agent
b. Antifungal agent
c. Anticancer agent
d. Antioxidant agent
2. Which of the following food groups is a rich source of vitamin C?
a. Milk group
b. Meat group
c. Fruit group
d. Bread-cereal group
1. Which of the following is an early sign of vitamin C deficiency?
a. Bleeding gums
b. Pernicious anemia
c. Appearance of a cold
d. Hysteria and depression
3. A person who shuns dairy and spends most of her time indoors would likely benefit from a supplement of
a. vitamin A.
b. vitamin B6.
c. vitamin C.
d. vitamin D.
1. The first detectable sign of vitamin A deficiency is usually
c. night blindness.
d. corneal keratinization.
2. The effects of vitamin A deficiency are most severe in what population group?
3. Which of the following is the most likely side effect for a person who regularly consumes large quantities of carrots or carrot juice?
a. Bone pain
c. Skin yellowing
d. Vitamin A toxicity
4. A person seeking good sources of vitamin A would select all of the following except
d. sweet potatoes.
5. The plant version of vitamin D is known as
6. The animal version of vitamin D is known as
7. What is the name of the vitamin D-deficiency disease in adults?
8. Which of the following enables much of the world's population to maintain adequate vitamin D status?
a. Outdoor exposure of the skin to sunlight
b. Wide availability of low-cost fish products
c. Wide availability of food assistance programs
d. World Health Organization distribution of vitamin D capsules
9. Which of the following is the most reliable source of vitamin D in the diet?
b. Fortified milk
c. Fruits and vegetables
d. Enriched breads and cereals
10. Which of the following is a naturally occurring food source of vitamin D?
a. Egg yolks
b. Red meats
c. Tomato juice
d. Whole-wheat bread
11. How is vitamin E thought to play a role in reducing the risk of heart disease?
a. It inhibits absorption of dietary cholesterol
b. It slows oxidation of low-density lipoproteins
c. It interferes with cholesterol synthesis by the liver
d. It speeds removal of blood cholesterol by the liver
12. Which of the following are major sources of vitamin E in the diet?
b. Citrus fruits
c. Vegetable oils
d. Milk and dairy products