5 Written Questions
5 Matching Questions
- up the stem; root pressure
- cell types
- outer epidermal layer
- a A relatively unspecialized plant cell type that carries most of the metabolism, synthesizes and stores organic products, and develops into a more differentiated cell type
- b specialized ground tissue; lots of chloroplasts; where photosynthesis occurs; veins of xylem and phloem branch.
- c covered by tiny root hairs for more surface area and more absorption; greater area to bring in water and nutrients
- d In the central vascular cylinder, because thewater moves into the xylem; because it cannot go backward, the only place it can go is ___________; this is called___________.
- e epidermal, racheids, vessel elements, sieve tube elements, companion cells, parenchyma, collenchyma, sclerenchyma.
5 Multiple Choice Questions
- Plant tissue consisting of cells joined into tubes that transport water and nutrients throughout the plant body. the bloodstream.
- the outer covering of the plant, the skin. protects the plant.
- spongy cortex; ____ encloses vascular tissue; cells are surrounded by ____________
- primary root found in some plants that grows longer and thicker than other roots. ex: carrots
5 True/False Questions
active transport proteins → water escapes through stomata; as water exits, more is drawn up through stem from roots
sieve tube elements → A specialized short, wide cell in angiosperms; arranged end to end, they form continuous tubes for water transport.
Casparian Strips → waterproof barriers that force water through cells not around; keep flow one way (b/c osmosis is always high to low).
Primary Growth; bud → type of plant growth that occurs at the tips of roots and shoots plants grow taller and deeper from tips, apical meristems=____
ground tissue → the outer covering of the plant, the skin. protects the plant.