5 Written questions
5 Matching questions
- William "Big Bill" Haywood
- RR's impact on cities
- Andrew Carnegie
- John D. Rockefeller
- Natural selection
- a established the Standard Oil Company - he joined with competing companies in a trust agreement
- b Allowed for cities to begin producing one thing (example I used in class: Forest City has Winnebago and it produces mobile homes)
- c founded the IWW
- d began work for the Pennsylvania RR and then created his own Carnegie Steel Company after witnissing the Bessemer Steel process
- e less-suited individuals die off while the best adapted survive.
5 Multiple choice questions
- prominent woman in the labor movement - she supported the Great Strike of 1877. She also staged a march with 80 children
- Had the job of regulating RR rates due to the Interstate Commerce Act
- This act reestablished the right of the federal government to supervise RR activities and established a five-member Interstate Commerce Commission
- A union formed by workers in the whole company - from the janitor all the way up to an engineer.
- a firm that buys out all of its competitors
5 True/False questions
Merger → immigrants hitched a ride in this area of the cargo ships while crossing the Atlantic and Pacific
Americanization → less-suited individuals die off while the best adapted survive.
Titusville, Pennsylvania → This is the location where Edwin L. Drake first used the steam engine to drill for oil
The Homestead Strike → A strike that took place at Carnegie Steel because of pay cuts
Pendleton Civil Service Act of 1883 → Act passed by Arthur to appoint people to federal jobs through a merit system based on candidate performance based on an exam.