5 Written Questions
5 Matching Questions
- Munn v. Illinois
- Holding company
- Granger Laws
- Mary Harris Jones
- a a corporation that does nothing buy buy out the stock of other companies - JP Morgan
- b prominent woman in the labor movement - she supported the Great Strike of 1877. She also staged a march with 80 children
- c Colored National Labor Union - admitted African Americans to the union
- d Laws that the grange were trying to get passed. They wanted "to establish maximum freight and passenger rates and prohibit discrimination."
- e The Supreme Court upheld the Granger Laws. The states won the right to regulate the RRs for the benefit of farmers and consumers.
5 Multiple Choice Questions
- Founded the American Railway Union
- a firm that buys out all of its competitors
- Carnegie Steel president who cut wages - leading to The Homestead Strike
- Very successful with his holding company
- business practice used by Carnegie to buy out all of his suppliers - raw materials like coal and iron mines, ore freighters, and RRs
5 True/False Questions
B&O RR → American Railway Union - this was an industrial union
Merger → when one corporation buys out the stock of another
George Westinghouse → single family homes that were set up side by side
Horizontal integration → business practice used by Carnegie to buy out all of his competitors
Knights of Labor → Membership to the Knights was open to all workers, regardless of race, gender, or degree of skill.