5 Written questions
5 Matching questions
- Bird of Passage
- Industrial Unionism
- George M. Pullman
- Ellis Island
- a Inventor of the sleeper car
- b A union formed by workers in the whole company - from the janitor all the way up to an engineer.
- c many immigrant families would come together to live in one house
- d an island in New York Harbor that was formerly the principal immigration station for the United States
- e immigrate temporarily to earn money and then return home
5 Multiple choice questions
- Tried to lower tariff rates but congress wouldn't allow it (only president to swerve two non-consecutive terms)
- a firm that buys out all of its competitors
- United Mine Workers started by Mary Harris Jones
- National Labor Union - the first large scale national organization formed by William H. Sylvis
- There are 24 time zones in the world - 4 in the United States. Central, Pacific, Eastern, and Mountain.
5 True/False questions
The Homestead Strike → A strike that took place at Carnegie Steel because of pay cuts
Chester A. Arthur → invented the typewriter
The Haymarket Affair → Garfield's VP who became president after assassination
Gentleman's Agreement of 1907-1908 → Allowed for cities to begin producing one thing (example I used in class: Forest City has Winnebago and it produces mobile homes)
Pendleton Civil Service Act of 1883 → banned entry to all Chinese except students, teachers, merchants, tourists, and government officials for 10 years.