5 Written questions
5 Matching questions
- Pullman Town
- C.F. Dowd
- Craft Unionism
- Bessemer Process
- a Henry Bessemer used this process to remove carbon from iron-ore. This made the steel more rust resistant and lighter
- b George M. Pullman's town where the workers would live. It had apartments, a theater, shops, dentist, doctors... etc.
- c Professor who proposed that the world be split into time zones
- d immigrants hitched a ride in this area of the cargo ships while crossing the Atlantic and Pacific
- e a union that formed by workers of a "craft" (Like in Winnebago - not the WHOLE company but just the cabinet workers)
5 Multiple choice questions
- A union formed by workers in the whole company - from the janitor all the way up to an engineer.
- established the Standard Oil Company - he joined with competing companies in a trust agreement
- made it illegal to form a trust that interfered with free trade between states or with other countries.
- One of the American industrialists of the late 19th century who became wealthy by unethical means
- The first skyscraper created in Chicago in 1885 - built by William Le Baron Jenney
5 True/False questions
B&O RR → American Railway Union - this was an industrial union
Timezones → many immigrant families would come together to live in one house
Angel Island → Inspection station for immigrants arriving on the West Coast - San Francisco Bay
Socialism → Colored National Labor Union - admitted African Americans to the union
Laissez faire → French term meaning "allow to do"