5 Written Questions
5 Matching Questions
- transcontinental railroad
- The Homestead Strike
- James A. Garfield
- Immigration Restriction League
- Alexander Graham Bell
- a A group who wanted to restrict immigration into the U.S. to certain groups they deemed desirable. Because of them congress passed a bill in 1897 requiring a literacy test for immigrants.
- b invented the telephone
- c The joining of the Central Pacific and the Union Pacific in Promontory, Utah on May 10, 1869
- d Independent elected president - assassinated on July 2, 1881
- e A strike that took place at Carnegie Steel because of pay cuts
5 Multiple Choice Questions
- Social organization of farmers
- The Supreme Court upheld the Granger Laws. The states won the right to regulate the RRs for the benefit of farmers and consumers.
- business practice used by Carnegie to buy out all of his suppliers - raw materials like coal and iron mines, ore freighters, and RRs
- single family homes that were set up side by side
- banned entry to all Chinese except students, teachers, merchants, tourists, and government officials for 10 years.
5 True/False Questions
Triangle Shirtwaist Factory → made it illegal to form a trust that interfered with free trade between states or with other countries.
The Haymarket Affair → A strike that took place in Chicago's Haymarket Square - people were protesting police brutality after a strike when a person threw a bomb into the crowd
Bird of Passage → began work for the Pennsylvania RR and then created his own Carnegie Steel Company after witnissing the Bessemer Steel process
RR's impact on cities → Allowed for cities to begin producing one thing (example I used in class: Forest City has Winnebago and it produces mobile homes)
Socialism → Colored National Labor Union - admitted African Americans to the union