← AH Semester Test Test
5 Written Questions
5 Matching Questions
- transcontinental railroad
- On the Origin of Species
- Pendleton Civil Service Act of 1883
- a an economic and political system based on government control of business and property and equal distribution of wealth
- b The joining of the Central Pacific and the Union Pacific in Promontory, Utah on May 10, 1869
- c single family homes that were set up side by side
- d Act passed by Arthur to appoint people to federal jobs through a merit system based on candidate performance based on an exam.
- e Book by Darwin where he talks about how species flourish and pass their traits along to the next generation, while others do no.
5 Multiple Choice Questions
- became president and tried to get congressional support for civil service laws
- less-suited individuals die off while the best adapted survive.
- giving of government jobs to people who helped government officials get elected - also called the "spoils system"
- This is the location where Edwin L. Drake first used the steam engine to drill for oil
- immigrate temporarily to earn money and then return home
5 True/False Questions
Henry Clay Frick → One of the oldest steel wire suspension bridge
Mary Harris Jones → There are 24 time zones in the world - 4 in the United States. Central, Pacific, Eastern, and Mountain.
Home Insurance Building → Carnegie Steel president who cut wages - leading to The Homestead Strike
Immigration Restriction League → A group who wanted to restrict immigration into the U.S. to certain groups they deemed desirable. Because of them congress passed a bill in 1897 requiring a literacy test for immigrants.
RR's impact on cities → Allowed for cities to begin producing one thing (example I used in class: Forest City has Winnebago and it produces mobile homes)