5 Written questions
5 Multiple choice questions
- a figure of speech using substitution in which a part signifies the whole, the whole signifies the part, or the name of the material stands for the thing itself.
"WAKE YOUR BUTT UP!"
(by "butt" she meant all of me to wake up.)
- an assertion seemingly opposed to common sense, but that may yet have some truth in it
"The closer we are to danger, the farther we are from harm. It's the last thing they'll expect."
-Pippin, Lord of the Rings
- a figure of speech that compares unlike objects; an implied comparison achieved through a figurative use of words; the word is used not in its literal sense, but in one analogous to it.
"Love is but the licking of honey from thorns."
"Life is a box of chocolates, you never know what you're going to get, and it doesn't last long for fat people."
- a witty or ingenious thought; a diverting or highly fanciful idea, often stated in figurative language; usually in the form of an extended metaphor or surprising analogy between seemingly dissimilar objects -- displays intellectual cleverness as a result of the unusual comparison being made
- repetition of an idea in a different word, phrase or sentence
"But wait. There's more! If you order this fabulous product right now, we'll send you this free gift!"
...gifts are always free, dummy
5 True/False questions
symbolism → a form of understatement in which an affirmative is expressed by negating its opposite.
"She did not lightly toss the ball to me. My nose bled for twenty minutes afterward."
"He's not a bad dancer."
occupatio → a witty or ingenious thought; a diverting or highly fanciful idea, often stated in figurative language; usually in the form of an extended metaphor or surprising analogy between seemingly dissimilar objects -- displays intellectual cleverness as a result of the unusual comparison being made
extended metaphor → a series of comparisons between two unlike objects
""I graduated from the University of Life. All right? I received a degree from the School of Hard Knocks. And our colors were black and blue, baby. I had office hours with the Dean of Bloody Noses. All right? I borrowed my class notes from Professor Knuckle Sandwich and his Teaching Assistant, Ms. Fat Lip Thon Nyun. That's the kind of school I went to for real, okay?" - Will Ferrell
catachresis → a harsh metaphor involving the use of a word beyond its strict sphere
"The moon was full. The moon was so bloated it was about to tip over. Imagine awakening to find the moon flat on its face on the bathroom floor, like the late Elvis Presley, poisoned by banana splits. It was a moon that could stir wild passions in a moo cow."
"The only hunger you should have is for power. The only thirst: for revenge." - Lex Luthor
synesthesia → one kind of sensory stimulus evokes the subjective experience of another
"We watched him unscrew the cap of his water bottle, bring the brim to his mouth, and tip back his head. We licked our lips and swallowed; our throats were cracked and dry. Watching him, we grew thirstier by the moment."