5 Written Questions
5 Matching Questions
- What three things aid in the self and identity formation?
- What happened in the case of Loving v Virginia?
- What is the sexual division of labor?
- True or False: 1/3 of black fathers have children with multiple women
- What are 2 events that eroded male dominance over women?
- a 1. Interaction troubles, 2. racial identity formation, 3. intersectional identity
- b 1. The Great Depression (men became unemployed, diminished role as breadwinner) 2. WWII (women began to work)
- c 1967; ruled antimiscegenation laws unconstitutional; THE STORY: black women and white man left Virginia to be legally wed in Washington, DC. Upon return to Virginia, charged with violation b/c it was illegal to wed elsewhere and return to VA., had to leave VA to avoid one year in prison
- d True
- e Says that certain jobs are classified as female and others are male. Structures family life so that women take on "second shift" of housework and child care.
5 Multiple Choice Questions
- Criminalized interracial marriage and sex, outlawed in 1967 after Loving v Virginia supreme court case.
- The population of single mothers in poverty is increasing; must choose between working and sending kids to child care (pricey) or staying at home and living on welfare
- Both blame black family issues on the black matriarchal family structure. Frazier traces it back to slave times, Moynihan keeps in more in present times.
- "to truly the poor, we should disrespect the hell out of poverty"
- 1. racial aversion, 2. racial fetish, 3. racial work
5 True/False Questions
Explain the family government and the differing roles of men and women. → Both blame black family issues on the black matriarchal family structure. Frazier traces it back to slave times, Moynihan keeps in more in present times.
Why is it bad to focus on identity? (2 reasons) → 1. Focuses on differences, leads to further social divisions 2. turns gazes inward, lose sight of others' harships
Which race(s) and gender(s) have the hardest time dating? → Asian men and black women. Undesired by their own race, but prefer their own race
What is racial authenticity? → Seeks to define a race by including or excluding behaviors from the repertoire that constitutes a group's aesthetics identity; can be tied to history through nationalism, ethnic fraud, cultural guidelines
Why might black marriages be twice as likely to end in divorce than those of Mexican Americans or whites? → Reasons: blacks are disproportionately incarcerated and impoverished, spatial dissimilarity, and psychological strain of racial domination