What is meant by "Psychopathology?"
Distress/impaired functioning/violating social norms
Why Assess? (What to focus on)
1. Figure out what (whom) to treat
2. Must know about
3. Saves time
Why use a DX?
-Helps record possible need for special education
-Helps communicate to other professionals
Which are the fully validated childhood disorders? (6)
Goals (6) of assessment planning
1. Is there a treatable problem?
2. Find strengths/weaknesses
3. Predict future behavior (fire setting)
4. Classify problems
5. Give guidelines for intervention
6. What is the problem(s) that lead to referral?
7. What part of child's life has greates impact on functioning? Where is stress coming from?
8. Evolving hypotheses
Describe the Actual Assessment
1. Clarify the referral question/ Reflect parents identified problem back
2. Determine social context of problem/clarify who concerned/why/why now/any changes?/separations?
3.Ask parent about hopes/fears/goals
4. Find/out expected behavior of child/disparity with reality?
5. Note characteristics of parents
What are environmental aspects that can impact child?
(Sometimes you can treat the environment and never need to see the child)
Repeated commands, teasing, criticism, hunger, divorce, death, chronic illness, impending move
Potential Areas of Intervention?
-Parenting skills training
Change emotional atmosphere
Initial Assessment Questions (8)
1. Presenting Problems
3. Birth/Developmental milestones