5 Written questions
5 Matching questions
- gene locus
- S phase
- a specific location of a gene on a chromosome
- b The synthesis phase of the cell cycle; the portion of interphase during which DNA is replicated.
- c A chromosome that is not directly involved in determining sex; not a sex chromosome.
- d A modified type of cell division in sexually reproducing organisms consisting of two rounds of cell division but only one round of DNA replication. It results in cells with half the number of chromosome sets as the original cell.
- e A cell containing only one set of chromosomes (n).
5 Multiple choice questions
- A pair of chromosomes of the same length, centromere position, and staining pattern that possess genes for the same characters at corresponding loci. One is inherited from the organism's father, the other from the mother.
- A process of nuclear division in eukaryotic cells conventionally divided into five stages: prophase, prometaphase, metaphase, anaphase, and telophase. conserves chromosome number by allocating replicated chromosomes equally to each of the daughter nuclei.
- The second gap, or growth phase, of the cell cycle, consisting of the portion of interphase after DNA synthesis occurs.
- In organisms (plants and some algae) that have alternation of generations, the multicellular diploid form that results from the union of gametes. it produces haploid spores by meiosis that develop into gametophytes.
- in a duplicated chromosome, the region on each sister chromatid where they are most closely attached to each other by proteins that bind to specific DNA sequences; this close attachment causes a constriction in the condensed chromosome.
5 True/False questions
alternation of generations → A life cycle in which there is both a multicellular diploid form, the sporophyte, and a multicellular haploid form, the gametophyte; characteristic of plants and some algae.
gametes → A haploid reproductive cell, such as an egg or sperm. unite during sexual reproduction to produce a diploid zygote.
genome → The diploid cell produced by the union of haploid gametes during fertilization; a fertilized egg
metastasis → The spread of cancer cells to locations distant from their original site.
sex chromosomes → A chromosome responsible for determining the sex of an individual.