← ch 17 Test
5 Written Questions
5 Matching Questions
- William Cullen Bryant
- Phineas T Barnum
- Oneida Colony
- James Russell Lowell
- Women's rights convention
- a Distinguished poet, essayist, diplomat, critic, and editor who wrote political satire billow papers. Dealt with the mexican war. Wrote in yankee dialect and condemned the slavery expansion designs of polk administration.
- b Fighting feminists meet here and stanton reads declaration of sentiments. which declares all men and women re created equal. Demanded ballot for females and launched women's rights movement.
- c an American showman who is best remembered for his entertaining hoaxes and for founding the circus
- d Transplanted from MA and wrote thanatopsis which was one of the first high-quality poems produced in US. Critics cant believe it is produced in US. Forced to make his living by editing New York evening post. Set a model for journalism that was dignified, liberal, and high minded.
- e Founded in NY and practiced complex marriage and eugenic selection of offspring with birth control. Leader goes to canada to escape for adultery. Enterprise flourished because artisans made superior steel traps, soon group embraced monogamy and abandoned communism.
5 Multiple Choice Questions
- Transcendentalist who was a unitarian minister. Forsook his pulpit and wrote and spoke as a lecturer. Phi Beta Kappa address to the american scholar was an intellectual dec of ind. Urged american writers to throw off europe traditions and make own writing. Vibrant essays make him a famous philosopher. Stressed self reliance and self improvement. Ideals reflect expanding america and he criticized slavery.
- Poet on antislavery who was as talented but influenced socially. Cried aloud against inhumanity injustice and intolerance. Aroused US against slavery and was a moving force with morality, humanitarian, and spiritual. Poet of human freedom.
- Best known methodist circuit rider or frontier preacher. Converted thousands of souls and knocked out rowdies that try to break up meanings.
- Painted 60 portraits for washington who sat for 16 of them.
- Established an outstanding women's school, Mount Holyoke Seminary in South Hadley Massachusetts.
5 True/False Questions
Henry David Thoreau → Emersons close associate who is a transcendentalist and condemns gvt that supports slavery. Refused to pay poll tax and wrote walden: or life in the woods which records his existence in waldon pond. Reduced bodily wants to gain time for a pursuit of truth through study and meditation. On the duty of civil disobedience furthered idealistic thought. Encouraged mahatma ghandi and martin luther king.
Brigham Young → Orated for American Peace society and had legs badly ulcerated so he had to sit on a stool. Ideas bear some fruit for collective security in the twentieth century.
Washington Irving → First american to win international recognition. Published his knickerbocker's history of NY with amusing caricatures of Dutch. Published the sketch book and brought fame at home and abroad. Combined pleasing style w/delicate charm and quiet humor. Wrote rip van winkle, the legend of sleepy hollow, and interpreted america to england and england to america. First ambassador New World of letters sent to the old.
Horace Mann → A brilliant graduate of brown and secretary on MA BOE. Wanted better schoolhouses, longer school terms, higher pay for teachers, and expanded curriculum. Soon improvements to schools made.
Nathaniel Hawthorne → Quaker and militant lecturer who fought for women's rights and fearlessly exposed herself to rotten garbage. Progressive women everywhere are called suzy b's.